Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildbones1

Need help choosing colors to paint my house.

Summer Scott
11 years ago
Hi there! I hope you can help. Our house really needs an updated look.
I would love to paint the deck and stairs as well.
One of the only lovely features on the house is that the windows upstairs are all refinished and stained. I don't HAVE to keep them stained, if they should be painted to match trim, but it is a lovely feature for now.
I just have no clue where to go from here. This is not my gift...color and design. Hope you can help!

Oh yes, the house is in the mountains and surrounded by trees.

Summer

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I like them to blend into the landscape when in the woods. Greens and orange-reds work well in summer and fall. It also looks warm and inviting in the winter.
  • Annie Vance
    11 years ago
    Is this your main home that you are living in or a holiday home?
    Is the lower level made of brick?
  • Summer Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    yes. this is our main home.
    the house is stucco.
  • Claudianne Young
    11 years ago
    I would paint the stucco and trim the same color brown as the stain and then add contrast with shutters. I would replace the hammock with a table and chairs. I would put a large pot of flowers near the base of the steps and add color with something blooming under the tree in the same color of the shutters.
  • Summer Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    THANK YOU. THANK YOU!!! all of your comments are truly appreciated. good ideas!! i really don't want to keep the brown of the stairs and deck, though. would like a new take, a new life for it.
    i am currently tearing down the old pergola with lattice that's over the hammock to create a new one with clean lines. that will help open things up up there as well...i'm hoping. a table and chairs would be nice.
  • PRO
    Denny Shuty
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I bet you have a hard time keeping the white stucco looking clean in that rustic setting. You should paint it a darker, but vibrant color. Brown and deep orange look good together, so does brown and an electric blue. Get the book Outside the Bungalow for some good inspiration. See the attached images. Also, start planting groundcover and shade perennials to cover that dirt, it really downgrades the look of the whole property. The Italian-esque fountain doesn't work, lose it.
  • Summer Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks for the suggestions i love the idea of vibrant color. funny you mention planting groundcover-- i just ripped up ALL of it so i could have a clean slate and see what everything looked like without a mask of green hiding everything. i want to lay down drought resistant succulents, etc... once the house is painted. agreed-- that fountain must go. i can't wait until that thing gets hauled off. thanks for the book suggestion, too.
  • PRO
    Denny Shuty
    11 years ago
    From what I know, succulents don't do well in shade or in competition with tree roots. When you have trees you need other plants that don't mind root competition. The trees will always win that fight.
  • dawdeez
    11 years ago
    Your home has beautiful architectural details. Adding to a previous post, I think something in the blue/green family would be a beautiful complement on your stucco with your stained windows. There is a color I love right now that can look blue in one light and green in another, depending on time of day. This color could take so many different colors for the accents/decking - anything in the cream to brown family. And I also think it would pop with a rust colored orange door. Have fun!
  • mveasey
    11 years ago
    I don't know what climate you are living in, but your place reminds me somehow of a place in Tuscany. Why not bring out the beautiful wood trim colours you obviously like and spent much effort restoring. Just try some bigger paint samples on the house and see if you like it.just a suggestion...