Television
Joni Scott
Television over a fireplace? How many people do that? Also, where do you put the cable box?
We're all waiting breathlessly for a tutorial here on Houzz!
January 28, 2013 at 5:31pm   
BRIAN DEGRAVE G.C.
Its done quite often. The cable box and equipment can be put in another room (basement/closet) and controlled by a remote IR sensor. The back of your cable box will have a small headphone-type jack labeled IR.
January 28, 2013 at 5:42pm   
STUDIO MB
Just for fun, this is the first one in our neck of the woods... back in 1996..all of the equipment is located in another area..there is an eye for controlling the TV.
January 28, 2013 at 5:47pm   
Ironwood Builders
Really want to know? I've done the cable box a few different ways...and mounted a fair number of TV's over fireplaces. The TV is best mounted on a rack rather than directly to the wall. Racks do a few things to help with viewing...they can swing out, tilt and turn...or all of the above. Depends on the rack. I won't go into the benefits of making the screen move where you can find the best angle for viewing...that's pretty much stating the obvious. Mounting the rack directly to structural elements is imperative. TV's are heavy, so bolting or lagging into studs is best. Mounting into masonry is not structural support! Most fireplaces have studs above the mantle, if you can't figure out where they are...punt and put the TV somewhere else.

Cable boxes are bulky. There are options for wireless remotes but HDMI cables are easy to run at the same time as the cable and electrical, which, BTW, most existing fireplaces won't have! Running power and connectivity to those existing fireplaces is perhaps the bigger challenge.Make sure to keep them well separated to avoid signal interference.

On new construction we build a niche behind the TV and wire it for all connections, sizing the niche to the cable box,....and the satellite receiver too. On existing fireplaces and some of our new installs, channeling wires and getting them behind the TV are more challenging, we put the cable box a remote cabinet and run HDMI and coaxial cables from there to the eventual TV location. Knocking out brick and stone is dirty and we do as much site protection as possible, but mortar dust goes everywhere! Grinding out the mortar with a diamond bladed mini-grinder, removing the stone or brick (tracking where the stuff goes back!, lots of photos) getting the wires and electrical junction boxes in place....it can take a few days work. If we are installing a new mantle and cabinets for storage and that pesky cable box, it can make the job easier. We can often use the new millwork to hide the wiring and get us to the TV location a lot faster.

The job requires at least two, if not three or four trades to accomplish...carpenters, cabinet makers, electricians painters, masons....or a couple of really handy guys. So, really, this isn't a tutorial....most folks don't have the tools or the know-how to take this information and adapt it to their own situation...every installation I've done has been unique, requiting different skill sets and trades. i advise using a professional.
January 28, 2013 at 6:09pm   
Ironwood Builders
Yes, IR remote works...but that TV needs power.
January 28, 2013 at 6:11pm   
designideas4me
Its pretty easy to do and I hired a handiman who did all this for less than 200 bux. You get the kit at lowes or home depot thats goes into the wall behind the tv. In that goes the electrical outlet( you need an electrician or handiman who knows electric)..also the hdmi cord is run out the tv and into this wall box configuration I bought. You need to have the cable or fios wire run down from the attic or moved behind the tv as well and that also sits in this mounting box. So the only thing thats on the outside of the wall is the tv itself.. on a flat mount and the cable or verison(fios) box. It can rest on a very small shelf or be cut into the wall to fit. Dont let these guys rip you off. Most want $500 bux or more. You can most likely do it all yourself.
January 29, 2013 at 5:59pm   
Counter top on front-load washer/dryer
I have always thought I would want a countertop on...
Need help selecting sofa that is scratch proof!
I am on the hunt for a new sofa and really want something...
Which shades make you pale?
The colour of spaces you inhabit can make or break...
Can anyone tell me how I can buy this duvet??
So I have this duvet/comforter I fell in love with....
Storage issue in bedroom
I want a modern set of wardrobes which has female and...