ceiling height
twichzoo
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are building on an addition including a kitchen and master bedroom suite, should the ceilings be 8'? 9'?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
The taller the ceiling the better. S if you can go to 9' then I absolutely would!
   January 29, 2013 at 8:09AM
charleee
I agree, and in the kitchen run your cabinets all the way to the ceiling. You will never regret the extra storage this will give you, even if only for holiday dishes and less often used kitchen stuff.
   January 29, 2013 at 8:16AM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
9' is lovely in appearance but less energy efficient (if you have forced air heat and cooling) and less resource efficient and more expensive because sheet rock and framing lumber come in standard lengths of 8' and 10' so if you choose a 9' ceiling you potentially have to cut and waste materials. Cabinets in the kitchen will most likely be taller which can also add to your project costs. Consider asking your builder for a percentage cost differential for 8' vs. 9'.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 8:17AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
So, not to consistently disagree, but 9' precut studs are readily available at the local lumber yard! The question is really a tie in and plate line question. If this is a kitchen addition and the ceilings of the adjacent areas are at 8'. then the top plates and rafters will not line up. This is an architect/builder's responsibility and design issue, generally. Making the new parts of the house work with the existing in a seamless and "always been there" fashion is typically the goal (with notable exceptions in historic districts). What height are the existing ceilings? if you want to have a higher ceiling you may need to drop the floor system so that the roof lines work to shed water properly. A second floor above may give some relief to this issue....but only if the addition has no second floor and the main residence does. We did a room addition with 11'6" ceilings attached to a set of rooms at 9". We dropped the floor system inside the foundation to do it. See the attached interior view for clarification.
   January 29, 2013 at 8:27AM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
This is a loaded question.

A ceiling with walls that are taller than the others on the same floor level impacts not only the interior but possibly the exterior as well. A couple of questions first....Is this a one or two story addition (kitchen on 1st floor, master on 2nd floor)? What is the height of your ceiling(s) now? Do you have exterior limitations as to roof height? If this is a two-story addition, there are significant building issues to consider which we don't need to discuss if you are doing a one story addition.

Additions with taller ceilings/walls than the rest of that floor level bring up a lot of considerations. For example… height of windows off floor. Do you align them with existing windows or do you maximize the 9’ height with taller windows? How does this look on the exterior? Can you moderate the different heights with a transom window? What do you do with the 28” of space above the window to the ceiling, if anything? Should you build an 8’ wall and then slant the ceiling up to a 9’ height and maintain 9’ throughout? Depending on the layout, the volume of the new space may be overwhelming for the rest of the house making all other spaces seem smaller than actual and/or the new addition seem out of place.

Do you have an architect or design/build firm that has done a plan with exterior and interior elevations for both ceiling heights? There are ways to moderate the cause and effect of these situations but you need someone to bring them to your attention.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 9:01AM
charleee
Ok, if you all aren't going to speak English, I'm outta here :))
   January 29, 2013 at 9:02AM
twichzoo
This is a new one story addition onto a very old two story house that has 9' ceilings that were dropped down to 8'. This is all new to me and over my head as to how to tie it in properly. We did have an architect draw up some preliminary plans but are trying to make some final decisions.
   January 30, 2013 at 6:09AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Go with the 9' ceilings!
   January 30, 2013 at 7:23AM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
I agree go with 9' ceilings.
   January 30, 2013 at 9:12AM
PRO
Dytecture
Agreed, the extra foot of height really makes a difference !
   April 8, 2013 at 5:47AM
More Discussions
Awkward Bathroom Layout
want to do a master bathroom renovation, but stuck...
Building a custom home...
In Fall 2016 our younger son starts school at the school...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Open Shelving Design for Kitchen
I'm installing stainless steel style open shelving...
Needing Curb Appeal
Any ideas to spice up my front yard/front of house?...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™