Repainting new painted walls, is it necessary to prime?
housewife2012
Hello,

I am getting all my walls repainted. The apartment is new but the walls are not filled properly and I don't like the original colors. After renovation, some walls were dirty so we are giving them new coats.

One contractor says no need to prime because they are new. More filler + prime + 2 new coats are too thick and will make it easy to peel off.

Another contractor says prime is necessary so my colors will stay fresh longer.

In your experience, which one is better advice? Of course, we will be charged more with the priming but we are ok with that if it works.

Thank you for your help.
nasmijati
If it was my space, I would be sure all the walls have smooth construction tape and all holes are filled. I would definitely prime the walls before painting. (I have taken the shortcut before.)

I would not use the primer and paint in one can combination. I think one gets a better result with one coat of primer - wait for it to dry completely.... Then a coat of paint - not too thick. Two thin coats of paint look so much better than one thick coat.

Other Houzzers may not agree. This is how I would do it. Take from this what you will.
January 29, 2013 at 11:44am   
Ironwood Builders
Extra is quite right. For the walls to look good after paint, they need to start smooth, so any bad drywall needs to be fixed. Repaired areas can be spot primed with drywall sealer. Deep colors, rich colors benefit from additional coats...even white looks better when you give it at least two coats. Eggplant purple? Plan on three minimum for it to really show its beauty.
January 29, 2013 at 11:54am   
Brenda Fisher
Primer serves two main functions: it seals drywall so paint can adhere properly, and the proper primer applied to oil based walls allows you to paint latex over it. Coloured primer like grey is used when painting darker richer colours. The only time you do not prime or at least spot prime is when your walls do not need work. Your walls need repair. It is much easier to get a consistent finish coat if the primer has a seamless finish. In your case I suggest you prime it all after it has been repaired. Before you allow paint shine a flashlight up the wall this will show any imperfections that won't otherwise be visible until you paint, then they will be glaringly obvious. Good luck.
January 29, 2013 at 12:46pm   
housewife2012
Priming is a must then. I have informed my contractor.

Thanks for all the advices. Houzzers are awesome!
February 7, 2013 at 5:02am   
Gabberts Design Studio
Glad you came to that conclusion, I would have suggested priming too. Just found this discussion. Good luck!
February 7, 2013 at 5:06am   
Which shades make you pale?
The colour of spaces you inhabit can make or break...
Are you Houzzing in the UK? Come and say hi!
I thought it would be nice to get to know you better...
How to layout furniture in my small apartment living room?
I have a small apartment. My living room is 13.5 feet...
Empty wall space in kitchen
I can't decide what to do with this empty space. Open...
Help me find curtains!
I am bad at coordinating! What are some curtain ideas...