Kitchen help please!
Jenn
January 29, 2013
What should we do in this desk area?
We are replacing our counter top in the entire kitchen to a lighter colour to brighten the kitchen and will extend it across the desk area (to eliminate the step down). The computer will be put elsewhere in the house and we would like to use this area as a beverage area and storage. Due to a limited budget, we are keeping the oak cabinets the colour as they are and will not be replacing the backsplash or the appliances.Our floors are a limestone colour.

Should we have matching cabinets made to extend across the top and across the bottom?
Or should we just replace the bottom cabinets and put rustic open oak shelves in the top area? Or shelves that match the off white paint? Or due to our stainless knobs and light fixtures, perhaps stainless floating shelves?
Should we put the same backsplash in this area as well?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
I would remove the desk area and replace with a black beverage center which works with the oak cabinets.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 11:39AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I think Dytecture is talking about an appliance. A beverage cooler for below the counter. They come in a couple of different widths, looks like you have room for a 24" model. That will do two things...first, it makes your outlet accessible and useful, second it will leave some room for a shelf next to the cooler. The shel can be used for, well, more beverages? Like liquor or wine. Then open shelves above give you glass and wine storage. Think on it and call a local pro to help with the appliances and cabinets!
    Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 12:05PM
mpoulsom
a wine frig would be great, but don't even know if you have the need for something like that. if not, I would go ahead and have cabinets on the bottom. If you can get more of the backsplash, I would carry it over the desk area with the floating shelves. If you can't get the tile I would paint that little niche one of the grays in your tile you have now. Paint the gray until you reach the bottom of the top shelf. I would do either stainless floating shelves or floating shelves that are the same color or material of your new countertops-to-be!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 12:25PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Beverage coolers, as opposed to wine coolers, are not specialized refrigerators. They hold soda or wine or beer...and can be less than the cost of equivalent sized cabinets built to match existing, Costco carries these coolers as does Sam's Club. I can't quote their pricing but....I can tell you it will cost less to buy the unit and plug it in than to have me or someone like me build you a cabinet and install it, if only by the square foot.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 1:48PM