chery
What contemporary window treatments would you suggest for a 70s ranch?
I'm remodeling a 1974 ranch home. I have three of these wide windows in bedrooms to deal with. Any suggestion for window treatments? I''m more on the contemporary side.
bepsf
Roman Shades would be perfect if you're only wanting to cover the window itself...
...but if this is to be the wall where the bed is placed against, I'd hang floor to ceiling draperies across the entire wall - perhaps layered over sheers.
0 Likes   April 11, 2011 at 11:19AM
Cheryl von Tress Design Group
Depending on how you'll be using the room, one idea would be to use a bench seat below the window and install fixed panels (hung ceiling to floor) on each side of the window. Then, for light control, install a woven grass or woven wood blind to warm the space and add texture.

The other idea I offer is floor to ceiling panels to cover the entire wall at night, adding luxury and drama to a small space is very effective. You have a great opportunity to use patterned fabric to great advantage and create a wall of art. Or, simply add a patterned fabric to the bottom of readymade panels to add semi-custom design.

I think mirror(s) to bounce available light around and expand space would be terrific. You could flank a large plate glass mirror with matching curtain panels and create a faux window. Best regards, Cheryl von Tress Design
0 Likes   April 11, 2011 at 11:24AM
mousemaker
i would make those windows bigger. they are too high and make you feel like you're too enclosed :) (did someone say claustrophobic? :))
0 Likes   April 14, 2011 at 3:08PM
lspswr
I lived in a 60s ranch with these type of windows several years ago and actually love them for bedrooms. They give you the most usable wall space and still provide light, air, and privacy. I used floor to ceiling side panels with wood blinds -- like the poster above suggested. I didn't initially like the windows, but truly grew to love them. I actually wish my current bedrooms had smaller windows that didn't limit my options so much. Have fun!
0 Likes   April 14, 2011 at 7:25PM
cathiekessler
do you have a photo of the floor to ceiling panels with blinds or roman shades?
0 Likes   April 18, 2011 at 7:27PM
Cheryl von Tress Design Group
Hi Cathie, I don't have a photo with that mix of window treatments. Check out some websites, e.g., Hunter Douglas, Jessitt-Gold and Kirsch. They sell the blinds and shades and have photos of full window tx. You might get an idea from those resources.

I do have a f-c window panels photo that shows hardware attached to the ceiling. It was custom designed hardware and you won't be able to buy it ready made anywhere.
0 Likes   April 20, 2011 at 6:26PM
Living Room Floors Need to Be Stained - Light, Grey, Red, or Dark???
The living room floors of my split level late 1960's...
Need grout help
Bathroom floor and shower wall tiles are bright white...
Flooring ideas for a garage office
Hi, I am looking for some inexpensive flooring options...
Need Help matching this Goldenrod sofa
I purchased this new set, The picture is going it does...
Suggestions for wall decor?
Have ordered upholstered linen chairs for around table....