1970's ranch needs a face-lift!
tsemdkel
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The exterior of my "new" 1970's ranch is blah, blah, blah! There is a concrete stoop with three steps, twisted iron railings and post. I would like to extend the stoop across to meet the garage wall, but the overhang isn't deep enough to create a true porch. Can I extend the overhang? Create a larger corner porch/portico? I'd love real posts and a wood deck with steps and wooden railings. Help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
tsemdkel
I meant to attach images....
January 30, 2013 at 5:43am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Michael Kilpatrick Design
Sure, you can do all of the things that you asked about.

The best way to achieve this is to lay a new roof structure directly on top of the existing roof. So starting at the ridge, run new rafters from the ridge to a new beam line that is at the front edge of your new porch. This will require new structural columns at the front edge of your new deck.

So new columns - in wood - and new footings in concrete. Extend the new roof all of the way from the chimney to the valley opposite the chimney.

Depending on the final slope of the roof you may need to look at using low-slope shingles if they are allowed in your jurisdiction or install two layers (perpendicular to each other) of ice and water shield over the entire new low-slope roof and then regular shingles on top. Do this especially if you are in an area that gets snow fall.

Trim out and finish the new porch in any way that you like.

I would also address the plantings at the front of the house. Pull the foundation plantings away from the house - that's a tired 1950's planting scheme- and put in more substantial garden beds around your walkway. You have a great opportunity to create an entry courtyard using hedges, shrubs and tall grasses as well as some great perennial beds.

Have fun !
February 27, 2014 at 6:32am