Floors are finished, we have a clean slate...please, oh PLEASE help me decorate!
janamdavis
Just had our 5 inch rift and quartered white oak with Early American stain/satin finish installed. Now I need LOTS of help! The space is kitchen/living room; all attached. Walls are SW Camelback and the accent wall in kitchen is SW Mink from the Livable Luxe Collection. The plan is to install 4-5 inch tall, some shade of white, base and new casings and paint the doors to match. I don't love the kitchen cabinets, but replacing them at this point is not an option (however I'm also not opposed to painting them). We have stainless appliances. The fireplace insert has to stay (although we'll be getting a nicer one in a year or so).

What I need help with:
1. Furniture...I'm excited to FINALLY be able to get new furniture. We need a kitchen table and furniture for the living room/hearth room space. We are using the formal dining room as an office, so the kitchen is the only eating space. There are 6 of us, including 4 kids (7,6,3,3). So choices need to make sense for our reality. I gravitate towards transitional style with a touch of rustic. I really like trestle bases on tables and some distressing, but want a flat top (no groves for food to get stuck) and my husband thinks a counter height rectangular table would be a good choice. We found a Legacy Woodland Ridge table that he likes (it's just okay for me) and I also kind of like the Legacy Classic Portland pub table.

2. Furniture placement in room...I've attached a floor plan.

3. Window treatments for big window and adjoining doors and kitchen window. Sun sets on this side of the house so it gets hot. Curtains with grommets, perhaps?

4. Lighting....it currently stinks and if you notice the current fixtures you'll understand why.

5. Living room/hearth room....how to use this space????? We have a larger family room in the front of the house with carpet, comfy furniture and a bigger tv. So...how to best use this space?

Please just tell me what works and what is not a good idea...I truly value the opinions on here. I have a very hard time pulling things together. The space is long and narrow and I'm lost. Also, if the things I've mentioned liking seem all wrong, PLEASE tell me! We live on 9 beautiful wooded acres and enjoy the outdoors, clean lines, natural elements.

I'll include more pictures below. Thank you ALL in advance!
Jana
janamdavis
Also, plan to paint window casing and parts to match trim and doors.
January 30, 2013 at 7:08AM   
Mandy
I have a similar shaped den and had just posted a question about the layout as well. My gut feeling is we need a sectional since we don't have a huge footprint and that would definitely work in your space too. I can see it pushed up against the window with a console table on the side that faces the kitchen. I think the opposite wall is where you could put your tv (not sure if you have a slim set up with a flat screen or a big CRT type - We just joined the flat screen crowd and put the old one in the kids playroom! lol). Good luck!
January 30, 2013 at 7:18AM   
Blinds Direct Canada
Shutters would look great in those windows. We carry a line of PVC Shutters that can be made in the same color as your frames so you wont need to repaint.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto/pvc-polysatin-shutters.html
January 30, 2013 at 7:24AM   
P.A.S. Interiors, LLC
Hi Jana! I think painting the kitchen cabinets a light color will definitely update and brighten up the space, and give a nice contrast to your beautiful new wood floors. You might also consider adding undercabinet lighting, and shield the fixtures with a light rail cabinetry moulding piece. Also, changing out the cabinet hardware is a simple update, too. Looking good! - Trisha
January 30, 2013 at 7:42AM   
janamdavis
Thank you for the ideas everyone! We also upgraded to a flat screen...but it's a small one in that room. Would a creamy white be a good shade for the cabinets? How about lighting and fixture color....antique bronze or brushed nickle?
January 30, 2013 at 9:03AM   
anny908
Benjamin Moore White Dove looks great on cabinets
January 30, 2013 at 11:19AM     
janamdavis
One of my biggest issues is type of table to put in the space. Thoughts?
January 30, 2013 at 12:44PM   
P.A.S. Interiors, LLC
A 6' to 7' long trestle table would work well, in an espresso color, like SW 6006 Black Bean. Regarding the cabinets, just another suggestion...If you go with SW 6119 Antique White paint color for the cabinets, it will pick up the undertones of the Camelback wall color (but I also love BM White Dove, too, so it's up to you). I'd stick with the antique bronze finish color on the light fixture to compliment your warm color scheme.
January 30, 2013 at 1:16PM   
janamdavis
THANK YOU!!! I was thinking about the SW Antique White for the cabinets...will it be an okay neutral should I change the walls one day? With that being said, how about all of the trim and doors I need to paint? Should I pick a white with warm/creamy tones as well? The espresso color is a great help as well... I'm afraid the table my husband likes is too similar in color to the floors. I really appreciate all the help!
January 30, 2013 at 2:08PM   
P.A.S. Interiors, LLC
You're so welcome! SW Antique White is a great neutral, and if you do ever change the wall color, it should be ok with another warm color palette. I would recommend painting all of the doors and trim throughout your home the same paint color, if you've already started in other spaces (hopefully a warm/creamy tone color?). Glad to help!
January 30, 2013 at 3:44PM   
Cheery Curtains
what about these curtains? Mouse over the image to get a full view.
January 31, 2013 at 12:37AM   
janamdavis
Haven't picked the door/trim white yet....but we're getting close. I definitely want to pick a trim color that will work with both warm and cool colors. The space above that I'm focusing on is warm but there are many other cool tone rooms in the house. I'd also like something that will be fine if I decide to change paint colors at some point.

Cheery Curtains- thanks for the ideas! I like the bottom curtains above. I really like the grommet and casual look. I love different textures like linen/faux linen blend as well, although I don't know if that wouuld work well in the space or not.

As always, thank you and continued ideas are super appreciated!
February 1, 2013 at 6:10AM   
Natalie
Hi---I see no reason for having more than one color for this entire space---choose either the Camelback or the Mink. Since the room is long and narrow and the FP is at the far end, I suggest changing the facade to something LIGHTER. Whether you decide to paint the brick or tile right over top, the choice is yours. Pic of FP for inspiration. Creamy off-white upper and lower cabs, OR espresso lowers and off-white uppers. I recommend removing the 4" return of your countertop and installing a backsplash---glass subway tiles would look beautiful and would help bounce/reflect light. Since your husband mentioned counter height seating, why not incorporate a long dining table in the middle of your kitchen? It would serve not only for dining, but as additional space for food preparation and serving. Window treatments---like the panels you commented on posted by Cheery-floor to ceiling---hang the rods as close to the ceiling as possible and extend rods 12" on either side of window... Hope you find this helpful. Great Space!
Good Luck!

[houzz=Fireplace Ledgestone/Stacked Stone Slate][houzz=Kitchen 1] [houzz=RWC Kitchen Photos][houzz=Kitchen 2]
February 1, 2013 at 6:38AM   
janamdavis
Natalie- Thank you for your comments and suggestions! I was wondering if the Mink wall made sense? So, probably should just make it Camelback as well? I don't want things to look funny. If the whole space is camelback, would the Mink be a good accent for pillows on the couch or just scrap the Mink all together? Love the inspiration pics the high table...think that could work. We found one we like, my biggest concern was that it could be too close in color to the floors. Should I be worried about this? I attached a couple of pics below.

I really don't like the brick on the fireplace...and we'll be resurfacing it at some point, but I have to deal for now. =( Would painting the mantel some color help for now?

Also, love the idea for backsplash and cabs....my projects will never end!

Thanks all! You're all the BEST!
February 1, 2013 at 7:24AM     
Natalie
Hi again---LOVE the table you posted. Add a rug to break up the space between it and the floor. The mink would be great for toss pillows, etc. As for painting the mantel-I wouldn't bother. No need to emphasize against the dark brick. If you want to paint anything-paint the brick itself. If you have enough of the Camelback and the Mink paint you could mix your own color for the brick. Try a 2 to 1 ratio, can be either 2 parts C to 1 part M or vice-versa. Give it a try. CheerS!
February 1, 2013 at 7:34AM   
P.A.S. Interiors, LLC
I agree with Natalie about painting all of the walls Camelback, and picking up the mink color in toss pillows and other accents. If you decide to go with any glass backsplash, just make sure to use a white thinset mortar (check the tile manufacturer's recommendations), and then a coordinating grout color.
February 1, 2013 at 1:56PM     
janamdavis
Once again, thanks all. Without you I'd be hosting parties with a strange looking accent wall!
February 1, 2013 at 4:00PM   
Brown Bros. Masonry
What a project! A blank slate!! In the future when you're able to change the brick stone would add greatly to a more country, rustic theme. Either covering over the entire fireplace, wall to wall, or framing in a fireplace and adding bookshelves on each side.
February 1, 2013 at 5:08PM   
This house makes me cry. And not in a good way.
The exterior of this house is just not working for...
Should I paint both rooms the same color??
We are painting our family room and kitchen, and I'm...
Need ideas for kitchen back splash
Kitchen very dark/sterile. Planning under cabinet...
What should I do for window treatments? And additional lighting?
I'm torn between wood blinds or roman shades with some...
Range Hood - With or Without Corbels?
We have an 8' Ceiling and trying to finish the Range...