Bathroom Design - your input needed!
Jim RemodellingIsRelaxing
Our bathroom is down to the studs and concrete and ready to be built, but I cannot come up with the aesthetics and some design details - help? The house is French eclectic with a Mediterranean feel (mansard roof, arched windows, large ranch house, stucco walls, hardwood and slate flooring). The budget is basically unlimited since I'm doing nearly all the work, and I don't mind spending on materials and tools. The room is about 11x5.5 feet, 8' ceiling, so my layout will be toilet in far left corner (south west wall), sink in the center (south wall) maybe surrounded by wood cabinets, steam shower on the right (west wall). The door is left of center on the north wall. The room is not against any outside walls, and it conveniently backs up to the boiler room (south wall).
This bathroom is off the bar room that I am building, which will have a large bar (maybe another post for later!), TVs, foosball, sofas, etc., and right now I am finishing the slate floor in that room (black slate). This is meant to be the party room of the house, so kids and adults will use this when coming in from the pool/back yard/bar parties/movie nights.

So do I continue black slate into the bathroom and go with something like carrera marble in the steam shower or is that too 70s? Or, just go with a dark wood cabinet to match the hwf and maybe a grey/tan travertine or ceramic/whatever tile in the shower? (I've heard good arguments for not using natural stone in a steam shower and I'm fine with that).
And, what should I do for shower dimensions? Add a half wall and put the controls there next to a glass door (with a transom/vented glass that tilts above the shower door)? Do full glass wall and door? Hide the shower behind a sliding wall??
I've been stuck on this step for a two months while I've been finishing out the bar walls and flooring but I'm at the point where this just has to be finished! Thanks - any input/pics are Greatly appreciated!
dalma darling
What an awesome project! I'd love to know where you are on this now. Did you go with the slate? (I personally think that would look great based on your description!) Let us know where you are in the planning phase and what help you need now. Please keep us up to date on your construction - I want to know more about that bar you're working on too!
February 16, 2013 at 12:00pm   
Need your input in my design Idea. First timer.
Hello First of all, thank you very much in advance...
Need your input please...
We are in love with this brand new elegant neoclassical...
Blank Canvas needs your input!!
We have a pretty dull kitchen and dining room. The...
Large master bedroom needs your input.
I'm thrilled to have found this forum and hope you...
Desperately needing a focal point
The furniture that I thought I'd lost a shot at reappeared...
1920's Tudor
My home has no rails going out the back door. I love...
Backsplash Suggestions For This Kitchen
Hello. My family and I are moving into our new home...
Bad staircase design...please help!
We are not around to monitor our new build, and ended...
Need help deciding on chandelier for my kitchen island.
I will be renovating my kitchen and I'd like to put...