Looking for suggestions for light control on bedroom clerestory windows
mcgrew56
These clerestory windows have the sunlight coming in from the south; with no window coverings, the glare is such that you can barely see the furniture when you enter the room. Looking for ideas to control light--painted wood shutter/blinds seem like an option, but we have an open mind. Also, lamps are open for discussion; what would make this room look more luxe? thanks!
Blue
Those look perfect for stained glass, if that's your thing.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:47PM
Barnhart Gallery
I'd duplicate your treatment of the window on the right, dropping the roman shade and panels right down behind the bed and side tables.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:54PM
mcgrew56
Thank you for the response...not crazy about stained glass--but I DID say my mind was open, didn't I! I am going to think about that one! the house is a Spanish Colonial style. Thanks again!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:54PM
mcgrew56
thank you for the suggestion!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:56PM
Tres McKinney Design
Shutters would work well with both the architectural style of the room as well as your furnishings. They could be stained dark like the beam and curtain rod, or mid tone like your furniture and woven shade in the other window or white washed in the same color tones as your walls. I recommend larger scaled lamps. They could be ceramic or iron with natural linen shades. It looks like your existing lamp bases are crystal which looks weak next to the tall headboard and more rustic furniture.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:07PM
You could just put a plastic film on the glass to cut the glare. The light would still be good through it.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:10PM
I like Tres' stained shutter idea. But Darzy knows her stuff, too, so I'd be interested in knowing if the film she mentioned is a frosted look, or tinted or what?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:15PM
Blinds Direct Canada
I agree with the film on the window. Home depot carries a selection of them in there decor section . Its a great solution.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:40PM
Thx Carolyn. I was thinking of a simple "no design" of frosted glass effect.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:44PM
ltlmissamerica
I completely agree with Barnhart gallery. That was my idea before I even saw their comment. Pipe and drape the whole wall.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:49PM
shartman11
Something that would give a stained glass effect, colored sheers - a way to soften but keep the light...
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:52PM
Classically Yours Interiors (CYInteriors)
I would suggest looking into a woven wood shade. I wouldn't do anything to cover the architecture of the windows. You could even do an outside mount 6-8" above the window so when it is pulled up the full window is showing. The woven woods would add warmth and play off the wood beams in the room.
Love that bed!!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:00PM
imlaurel
What about picking up the theme of the square pictures on the other wall. Buy square frames larger than the window and put something in them you like that will reduce the light while being attractive. If you hinge them on one side, you could open them if you want more light.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:01PM
Another suggestion would be Solar Vue shades. I use these to cut glare all the time. Timberblinds has a wide selection of fabrics and light filtering weaves. They roll up into a cassette that only takes up about 3"
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:04PM
mcgrew56
Thank you ALL, so much! I love the great ideas...the diversity of them, too! CY Interiors, I'm glad you like the bed! I got brave one day, and upholstered it myself; then, a few years later, I put that paint job on it! (I know, I know....paint should have come first) Thanks, again!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:40PM
Rachel
I have no window treatment ideas, but I really love your bed - colour and style!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:49PM
mcgrew56
You're too funny. Thank you!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:52PM
mcgrew56
Wah-lah....the finished product. difficult to tell, but we did go with the dark shutters, and some new lamps!
1 Like   April 2, 2013 at 5:44PM
Your room is perfection! Congratulations!
1 Like   April 2, 2013 at 6:16PM
the essentials inside
Beautiful! Love the room, love the mirror!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 6:39PM
Ann
I agree with Carolyn - beautiful! Everything about that bed is great!
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 6:41PM
A Crew of Two
What about a sliding shutter look? I can't find exactly what I want- but you could do a slatted shutter or a solid door that can be slid from side to side. This would allow you to let some light in if you would like. If they were done on the same track they could slide as one piece. You could do fabric covered frames for interest or something that mimics your bed. Lots of options.
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 6:54PM
mcgrew56
Thank you, ALL! I appreciate the input!
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 8:08PM
mcgrew56
Kelly, I already have the shutters installed....it may not look like it, because the finished picture shows them OPEN....makes the slats hard to see, but they are there, and I can change the slant to control the light...works great! Thanks!
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 8:17PM
We've decided on a slipcover sofa. Now, we need to...
Judy
Holiday Decor?
Do you have all your holiday decor up at your home?...
Horizon Landscape Company
How to cover shallow depth windows?
We have a window with a 1/2" deep window frame and...
lwg808
My old dinning room needs some help!
Hi guys! i'd like to improve my dinning room,to add...
Carina O┼čan
Under mount sink disaster- what would houzz do!?
Today I filled my 36" stainless steel sink with water...
Elizabeth Yannone