Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korenl

Dining/Living room wall arrangments

korenl
11 years ago
We are redoing 1949 house a bit at a time. Our dining/living room is one long room with the door at the center and a fireplace exactly opposite the door. The wood floors were just refinished and our fireplace is almost done as you can see in the picture (just need to put the doors on and get the mantel). My dilemma is what to put on the walls and/or corners down in the dining space. It looks bare with nothing but I don't want to put too much and have it look cluttered. I have a metal hanging that I am contemplating hanging on that wall sitting on the floor right now. Is that the right choice? Leave the corners empty? The wall behind the dining table has large windows and the long wall by the door is all windows. If I missed the boat on the arrangement on the other end, let me know also. This is a tough space.

Comments (18)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I think the softening of three stationary drapery panels hung floor to ceiling at that window would add a lot and the corners might not seem so bare. Duplicate the idea with the other windows in the space. You might want to pull colors from your art, but I'm not too keen on the blue mats. I don't see that color anywhere else, or the green. I would tend to go with the color in your area rug, simplify the mats and eliminate the green hassocks. Then post before and after pics for more ideas.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    How about putting the tv directly opposite the sofa? Then I would put the leather chair where the small wooden one is. That will help to block the view of the bedroom.

I would add a buffet to the dining area, exactly where the metal sculpture is on the floor.
  • PRO
    Home Preppers
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would love to see the art above the fireplace to be a horizontal rectanular peice. Can you use the clock in the dining room, or is it too large. It's difficult to tell. Simple light drapery panels would soften up the dining room.

I think the furniture arrangement in the living room is fine, except I would remove the vase from between the ottomans. I always like to see things in threes, though. Any chance of getting another ottoman...maybe in a brown to go between the two green ones. Another idea is to put the brown ottoman against the wall and bring the green ones, side by side in the coffee table position. Then you can add a bit of green in throw pillows on the sofa and one the brown ottoman. Don't do all the same pilows.

The pictures on the wall should be a bit closer together and in a row rather than staggered. Also, the wood chair is a bit out of place with all the leather. In order to bring it into the mix, you can try adding a leather throw pillow. I would not change the floor plan. If you moved the TV, it would protrude into the room and block the doorway.

Thank you for posting :-)
  • korenl
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I thought about switching the green ottomans with the brown. I'll try it out. We do have green in the throw pillows on the couch (used to be mostly red but I got tired of them!). We tried the TV on the wall and it just didn't work. The middle picture is bigger than the other two so we weren't sure whether to stagger, match on top or match on bottom?

The clock does look funny by itself. I was hoping to fix that once we have a mantel. I'll look at other picture options I have.
  • PRO
    Home Preppers
    11 years ago
    I agree to leave the TV where it is. You are probably right, when you have the mantle, you can put some candle sticks or some decor on each side. As far at the pictures, I know this is not easy to do, but I would split the difference on the size. Don't match the top or bottom.
  • korenl
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    PS - found receipt for green ottomans so they are going back tomorrow. Will be looking for something more appropriate.
  • PRO
    Home Preppers
    11 years ago
    the bench on the wall looks fantastic. Can you move the rug over toward it a little. Right now you have what I call the "Titanic effect" where everthing is heavy on one side. Moving the rug over wll incorporate the bench into the room.. Which pieces of furniture don't you like and are working around?

Its difficult to tell if the tree of life looks good becaue they really don't photograph well. It's not my favorite, but if you like it, I think the sized and colors work with that room.
  • korenl
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think my tastes have just changed over the last couple of years. I like our TV easel and the couch. The chair is really comfortable but it takes up a lot of room because of the shape (might fit better in the bedroom eventually). The brown ottoman fit a room in our last house but is just too big for this room (better on the wall though). On the other end, the table and chairs will not be long-term keepers. They work for now but we have both seen other tables we like better.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    World market has some furniture, not too expensive. I think the tree of life would work sitting on a "buffet" purchased there, placed against the dining room wall. Perhaps, hang a simple tapestry on the wall behind it, to soften the look.

Tell me, does the living room furniture placement work for tv viewing? Looks like only person in chair has a good viewing angle. And, I do love your tv stand!
  • korenl
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Best angle is definitely the chair. We tried the couch where the chair is but then there is nowhere to put that dang chair. We also tried the TV on the other wall and in the corner but space is just not wide enough (husband is done moving that stand around! :-))

Buffet/sideboard would definitely work on the wall in the dining room - I just can't decide whether to get a buffet that goes with a table that I am not crazy about or to put up art instead. Tree of life is big so it won't sit on buffet. I brought it out into this room because of the colors. My husband doesn't really like it but it is nice to have something besides a row of pictures sometimes and it looks better once you get the candles on it.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Tree of Life could make a great piece of garden art, if you can't work it in somewhere inside....
  • korenl
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Okay, okay, the metal tree is going back to the garage for now. :-) I got rid of the green ottomans and moved the brown ottoman. I think it will be okay now if I get a coffee table - I am thinking glass top because we already have so much wood going in that room. I also need to replace the tall lamp in the corner with a more contemporary lamp that gives off better light than our ceiling fan obviously does. And, in the other picture it is more obvious that drapes will be a dramatic improvement (why they put up blinds - sheers - blinds is beyond me).

I am not sure what to do about the art above the brown ottoman. Option 1 - move the pictures closer and more even as suggested earlier. I know the colors don't "go" but how important is that? Option 2 - switch those pictures out for the black and whites leaning on the ottoman (sorry about the blurry image). One is horizontal and two vertical but I would follow the same suggestion about making them even. Option 3 - any other suggestion? I have other art but none of it "matches" the colors. I just liked the art.

As for the dining room, would a console table that went with the new coffee table (when I find it!) work for that wall without buying big furniture that I don't want? I also saw the picture of the dining room with the two shelves with the simple grass in square containers and thought it was interesting but would it work? (
    christyj · More Info
    )
  • bunay
    11 years ago
    I like the new pictures better than the ones with the blue mats for this room. I like the brown ottomans against the wall but they could also work as a coffee table by the couch and chairs. Just put a tray on one and a small throw on the other. I think the metal art is nice and would work on the wall above where the ottomans are in the last photo instead of the prints. Then use the prints in the dining room. I think you need side drapes in the dining area, just a panel on each side and I would get something with a pattern to add some more color to the room. They don't have to close, just use as an accent and an opportunity to add color.
    P.S. love your puppy in the chair!!!
  • bunay
    11 years ago
    Oh, also to add continuity you can use the same drape pattern from dining room in the living area by adding them on each side of the windows, leaving the current drape as is. Using the same drape or curtain pattern will connect the rooms.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    One thing that would help the art to "go" color-wise: re-frame them (larger frames I think) and keep the blue mat as a tiny interior mat and do a larger mat in a neutral color. Just take them to Aaron Brothers and play around.

I think getting a console table that goes with the new coffee table you will purchase is a good idea. We all need to not compromise!

And, I think the Tree of Life is fun. If it speaks to you, we need to find a spot for you to enjoy it! It needs some elevation, but since it is large, not to high.... How about instead of a "buffet" in the dining room you place a simple wooden bench. Then place the tree on the bench. The wall behind will need something: hang a simple bamboo rug or textile behind.
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    11 years ago
    I would put up a decorative rod and 2 panels to frame the window . It will give you a more formal look for the space.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
  • korenl
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I put up the black and white pictures and hung them more even (husband put them up a little higher than I would like but don't want to put any more holes in plaster walls to move them down).

Window treatment people are coming on Saturday and I know this will make a big difference.

Still looks like it is missing something though. Anyone have coffee table ideas? Husband doesn't like glass tables because he says they look cheap. (The TV stand looks black but is actually dark brown wood.)

ps Didn't notice all our cords by the end table until I looked at the picture. Will be fixing that now.

thanks! Snow day gives me time to play with ideas today.