Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wlg3

Wondering if it is possible to gain ceiling height by adding boxes into the rafters to make this coffered look

wlg3
11 years ago
This is new construction and the rafters are still open. Would rather go up into the rafters to gain ceiling height. Can this look be achieved by doing that and if so how? Thanks for the help.
Portfolio · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Angela Otten - Inspire Kitchen Design Studio
    11 years ago
    Hello, This depends on your house construction and would be a better question for your contractor. Most homes have ceiling joists that are either 16 or 24 on center which leaves a very small area for the coffer squares ~but if you have open trusses, I would imagine you can work with the space as you see fit as long as there is room for any mechanicals/ insulation/ etc.
  • wlg3
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for the quick response. My joists are 24" apart and are centered in the room. I have a steep pitch so there is a lot of space in the attic. Could you suggest a good depth for the individual boxes. Thank you again.
  • PRO
    Angela Otten - Inspire Kitchen Design Studio
    11 years ago
    Just a comment; on 24" cc joists; you will only have 22.5" between them. Please be careful that the squares are not too small~ they will look like a checkerboard rather than the treatment above. The photo shows 36x42" rectangles. If you do it at your width; the shallower the better; 4" or less.
  • mscody
    8 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. Thank you for answering this question.