Stairs and fireplace dilemma
Mia Mirelez
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would love some feedback here:

How would this travertine tile look on the top of the stairs and then the glass on the front ledge of the stairs (where you don't step)?

Then this exact style on a fireplace... Travertine on the ledge in front of fireplace and then the glass on the face that butts up to the floor.

Please help :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Darzy
Hi Mia..your picture is confusing. Can we see the actual space/stairs? The entire space.
January 30, 2013 at 10:43pm   
Mia Mirelez
Sure sorry, here are the stairs and the fireplace. The stairs are "in your face" when you open the door.
January 30, 2013 at 10:50pm   
Darzy
I'm thinking the glass on the stair would look "trendy" and get old/tired quickly. I think something more classic will stand the test of time. Including glass on the FP hearth.
January 30, 2013 at 10:54pm     
Darzy
In HOUZZ search for "painted stair risers" and you'll get some ideas for the stairs without costly tile installation.
January 30, 2013 at 10:58pm     
Mia Mirelez
Great point! Thank you so much. What do you think of the travertine? That seems more classic right?
January 30, 2013 at 11:01pm   
chindowney
Follow Darzy's lead. Additionally, trying to get tiles to adhere permanently to a wooden staircase ??? ... tricky at best.
April 2, 2014 at 4:40pm   
PRO
North Star Stone
Not sure if the glass would look right on the floor, and as Darzy mentioned, the style of the glass might get old. You'd be better off going with a more versatile product like stone or slate. But really like the idea of having a different design on the front of the steps- that's a great idea.
April 2, 2014 at 4:55pm   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Travertine is very "in" right now and yet there are people out there who have never heard of it. I would be interested to see how long the mortar will hold to the stair case. Without some sort of heavy adhesion/attachment strategy, the tile might come off sooner rather than later.

I have cork glue flooring planks that look like travertine...but they are standard floating floor planks that glue straight to a clean riser/tread. Same look but without the worry of tiles falling off any time something goes thumping down or into the stairs.
April 2, 2014 at 5:29pm