Need help redecorating unique sitting area.
purplehoneypie
Need help with design ideas. This area is attached to a contemporary cedar log cabin and my husband and I are reclaiming it now that the kids are grown. We would like the room to have a bohemian/zen type feel and need paint, furniture, window, lighting advice. Thank you so much for any and all guidance.
Sylvia Zawedde
There is too much color, I think a room should have a flowing color theme!
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 12:41AM
purplehoneypie
After the room is emptied and we start from scratch, we were thinking of an orange/yellow pallet for the walls and sills to start.
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 12:48AM
carole
first one is an original 70's design,just based on the colors you mentioned,will you put on a pict. of the room emptied? are you keeping the rug,and chairs with the fur, those are very nice goes well with the stone and wood,maybe once the cloth and purple is gone it will be easier to see what needs to change,i think not to much if you choose zen!!
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 2:44AM
The first thing that caught my eye was the Haight-Ashbury poster! While I don't suggest you go with tie-dye, I think it would be interesting if you drew your inspiration from that poster. Reduce the colors in it for paint, and for artwork you could frame some record albums from that era.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 3:48AM
Sharon
What are you intending on using the newly reclaimed space for? Hobbies, entertaining?
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 4:46AM
purplehoneypie
This is a better close up of the room. It is actually the living room of an old mill house which connects to an old grotto kitchen and upstairs bath. We built a 3,500 sq foot addition upstairs from this stone portion of the original house so its really no longer used. We are planning on selling the house soon and am looking to create a space that is soothing and appealing as a unique sitting space. The property is located in an arts colony and funky is okay, but all my unique decor needs to go.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 6:25AM
DIAspoton
what a cool space! when i think zen,calm,soothing,i want no distractions. i'd build in shelving below the windows to showcase art pieces as well as books. change the white above and below windows to a soft gray. remove current furniture,posters,window treatments and chandelier. add a very large,soft beige textured(like the new shags) rug.a neutral sofa and 2 comfy reading chairs. solid or very soft,organic patterns keeping it all beige, off white,pale gray. coffe or side table walnut staine or painted black. a crystal chandelier for bling. lots of candles. this house seems great. i hope you'll post more pics.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 6:46AM
Well, if you're planning on selling soon, I would suggest you go with as neutral and basic decor as possible. Buyers like to imagine their own things in rooms they look at and the last thing you want is to have them distracted. Perhaps put a couple of cozy chairs in front of the fireplace on the braided rug. Keep it sparse, don't let them get distracted. It's a very woodsy room, I would follow that with comfortable cozy furniture.

Remove all personal items, both decor and family pics/momentos. A few good pieces of art, perhaps a small coffee bar and just generally a welcoming feel.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 6:48AM
janishill
In an artsy community each person will have a different ideas of what they want in a home, so it would probably be best to under-d o the room. That way potential buyers can envision their style in the space.

As you have already mentioned; take everything out. Then paint the walls a soothing green like this: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/shadesofspring or this: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/libertypark They are considered neutrals.

When you put the furniture back try using cream or beige covers on the sofas and chairs, a green, orange print table cloth and adding orange and green throw pillows. Use your sheep skin throws just as you have done - to make the chairs inviting. Keep wall art to a minimum. Keep the ornage cast iron looking pot. Roman shades on the windows will allow in light while providing privacy if necessary.

This gives a sort of blank canvas look with just a little personality.

Oh...you might want to use a pineapple on the table for a centerpiece when you are having an open house.

Hope you'll share updated photos with us!
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 7:01AM
redecoration needed!!!
I want to change the colours of my bedroom, but I need...
sarahxo
Help converting bedroom w/ sitting room into more of a 'studio apt'
Hi all! Thanks for your help! I have a bit of an unusual...
julesers
Need help redecorating my living room
Im want to change my color scheme and redecorate for...
cheeter1972
Need help for our living space redecoration!
We just acquired a new house but the living area/dining...
elsadazin
Need help redecorating my bedroom
Hi, I'm 14, and I need some help redecorating my...
Nathan Bullen
we need a kitchen table
kitchen table that extends to 120 inches but only 30-36...
maxthecat63
Need ideas for Small Bathroom shower curtain/rug!! more ideas=BETTER!
I recently bought a few sets of the Cynthia Rowley...
Julia
Wallpaper or no for The Office space?
Ok, so I want to know what you people with great taste...
Poyan Varg
Kitchen Renovation
We are trying to decide what is the best color for...
Michelle Cagle
matching paint colours
Does anyone know how I can get accurate paint mixing...
louwhitt