plunge pool
2jill
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Is a concrete septic tank a practical container to be used as a plunge pool?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Can't believe I'm going to jump into this one! So, a couple of questions. How does the water for the plunge pool get filtered? What happens to the stock drainage inlet holes in the tank? What will you line the tank with? Will it have a coping? How do you get out, does it need a ladder? How deep do you need to plunge? Is the tank sealed with tar on its interior? Last but most assuredly not least, is this a new, unused tank?

The answers to these questions may help you decide.
   January 31, 2013 at 6:33AM
2jill
You gave me some things to think about, it would have to be a new one. I was thinking partially above ground with the holes to be used for the filter system. Don't really no that much about septic tanks. There is a plunge pool on the houzz site that made me think of this. A ladder would be a good idea. Would it have to be lined?
   January 31, 2013 at 6:49PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Well, there are a couple of different types. A tar coating on some, no tar on others. The concrete interior is cast and they don't plan on you jumping into it, so it is not smooth. Maybe not smooth enough to use tile without a parge coat or mortar bed. I saw it as at least partially buried, that's why I asked about coping, the rim around the top or edge of a pool. If above ground, depending on your geographic location and weather...pipes freeze. I think of a plunge as being the last thing after a hot tub or sauna, so winter time is a good time for that, but bad for pipes above ground. There are also two compartment tanks! Ladders would be pretty much necessary for getting out of the tank, I'd think.
   February 1, 2013 at 9:34AM