Sound insulation
evgeni
Hello, i'm writing form eastern Europe Bulgaria. We are upgrading our house and im going to biuld a bigger room for myself. Do you know some good sound insulation cuz i'm a DJ and i play music really loud. My room is going to be far away from my parents room but i'm still worried.
Kaplan Architects, AIA
The most important thing is to caulk around any air gaps in the walls and ceiling. You need to seal around all penetrations at junction boxes for electrical devises etc. Think of it as if and air leak is the same as a sound leak. It also helps to use a clay or putty to wrap around the back of the junction boxes where the wires come in. Of course this is best done if the walls are open and the electricity of off.
January 31, 2013 at 12:08PM   
evgeni
Thank you very much!! i was wondering if you could tell me which kind of "foam" works the best ( the thing that i'm going to put in the walls.
January 31, 2013 at 1:34PM   
Ironwood Builders
If your walls are open, a standard R-11 fiberglass is considered sound deadening insulation. The foam product you are looking for is for gap sealing and small joint filling. Comes in spray cans, called Great Stuff. In doing recording studios or ceilings between apartments we have used a double drywall installation. A metal hanger called a hi-hat channel is screwed to joists after the first layer of drywall is installed. A second layer of drywall is screwed to the hi-hat metal. in extreme cases we build a second wall, or double stud wall so that there is no vibration possible between the two sides of the wall. In the most stringent install...the sound booth itself, we have installed lead sheeting. As you can see there are many strategies for sound deadening that can be tailored for your situation.
January 31, 2013 at 2:43PM   
Kaplan Architects, AIA
Ironwood's suggestions are all very good ones...
January 31, 2013 at 3:27PM   
Do the wall panels provide sound insulation ?
I am trying to make my master bedroom more sound proof....
Any suggestions on sound insulation for both interior and exterior wal
Remodeling a 1969 ranch with board and batt exterior...
Sound insulation
Hello, i'm writing form eastern Europe Bulgaria. We...
Kitchen update? Yes or no?
I tried posting a bit ago but my pics didn't upload....
What do you think of this room?
http://www.houzz.com/photos/5445363/Woodlands-Lake-House-transitional-home-theater-houston...
Does anyone know the company that supplies this brick and the name of
Building a house. Really like this brick but unable...
Deck and Patio design for privacy
We are finally putting a deck off of our kitchen sliding...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...