Front door paint color? or is it stained??
Riqui Sanchez
DeForest Architects
Hi. I believe that photo was taken before the final finish was applied, so what you see is a raw birch door. Blackened steel plate was applied shortly after the photos. Hope that helps. John DeForest
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:28AM
Chris Corbett Design
What finish did you us on the cedar. I am having a hard time finding a tone like this.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:52PM
DeForest Architects
Hi, Chris. I don't remember the exact color. I do recall that it took some trial and error to find a stain that had some pigment without covering up too much of the natural variation in the color of the cedar. DA
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:55PM
geojigeorge
Hi DA, For the board and batten look..what material did you use? I was going to use this look for house design in Austin. Thanks, GG
    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 10:03AM
DeForest Architects
Hi, GG. We used 4x8 sheets of fiber cement (from James Hardie) and applied battens over that. The battens hide the vertical joints where they occur. Horizontal joints have a discreet z shaped flashing to keep water out. Nowadays you can look for composite battens that require less maintenance than the wood ones we used. This is a relatively economical and durable approach that requires less maintenance than wood siding. Good luck with your project. Let us know if you ever run into anyone who needs an architect in Austin. It is a very cool place and we work all over these days. John
1 Like    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 11:04AM
geojigeorge
Thanks John for the info. I will let you know about anyone need architect in Austin b/c you folks seem to have some nice designs. BTW since you made the comment on the wood. I'm going to ask i'm using stone and horizontal siding. For this particular area I was going to use this board and batten look as a vertical trim. I was going to use a composite for the board and batten then paint as you suggested. Then I saw this great wood trim at then new whole foods store coming up in Austin using Ipe wood (i hear pretty durable wood...also where the board is batten is facing very shady). From your perspective would do you think the composite material would be much better from maintenance perspective compared to a hardy wood like Ipe? Thanks, GG
    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 12:31PM
DeForest Architects
Ipe is beautiful, has natural decay resistance, and requires less upkeep than some wood siding if it is left to weather to a silver gray like teak. If you want to keep it reddish-brown, you'll need to refinish it fairly often. It is way more expensive than fiber cement, however. I know of one source that supplies a profile that can be lapped but otherwise it needs to be installed in an open rainscreen system which adds some cost, requires more careful detailing, and can become a nice little habitat for insects. Closed rainscreens are a good idea behind wood siding; but I try to avoid open ones. I our moist climate, I have heard of some people who had trouble with mildew on vertical ipe surfaces. In short, ipe is really a different animal than hardie. we have used it on fences,gates and decks where cost was less of an issue than appearance. Probably more than you wanted to know!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 2:58PM
geojigeorge
BTW I did not get to write, but thanks for your feedback on the Ipe. I will avoid based on your feedback. Would that be the same for wood like cedar? Based on your feedback I'm going to most likely stick with Hardie. BTW on your above description of the composite battens -- would that be available from the Hardie products (fibre cement) as well?
    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 6:48AM
DeForest Architects
You're welcome. I haven't used them but Hardie does have trim boards http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/products_trim_hardietrim.py you may need to rip them to the width you want. There are other manufacturers, too. I would ask around at your local lumber yard. John
    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 9:05AM
geojigeorge
John one last question and I noticed this only when my builder's builder supply mentioned it. The one issue where I was going to put board and batten and not much different from your design is that my length is much more than 8 feet. So he said is those cases based on flashing that needs to be put you will notice a horizontal line at around 8 feet (using the 4x8 boards). Now looking at your picture I do notice this line. Does this bother people in general or is there a way to trim around this so the horizontal line is not so obvious? I'm trying to decide if I should keep the board and batten look or go with horizontal cedar wood also in your design of the house. I should show you my design plan of that side of the house :-)
    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 9:17AM
DeForest Architects
Well, I guess it's up to you to decide what looks best. I have not found the flashing joint to be objectionable. There are other ways to trim out that line but I would be getting into too much detail without knowing the project. Good luck!
    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 11:48AM
geojigeorge
Thanks!! If I go the board and batten and want to trim that line at all, I will seek you out for a consulting fee
    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 2:11PM
geojigeorge
John, One more question as I was going over your previous notes, how wide were your battens? I have seen it in certain designs, where the battens were wider and I did not like it. I like the width of your batten, which are similar to others that I liked as well. Thanks.
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 11:45AM
geojigeorge
In addition to my question above on the batten width, do you know what color of blue that you used of batten (color code)? Also outside of this I may seek you guys on a project if I buy this lot in Austin that recently came to my attention. It is a challenging lot that slopes off that does not have a lot of depth to work with. It seems from your designs on your website you have worked on these kind of houses. Earlier you mentioned of interest in work in the Austin area. I can see yourself and a firm out of Austin that could design a house for this area if I pursue this lot..I'm working with my current builder if I should pull the trigger on this new lot.
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 12:39PM
lisetiffner
the battens are 1x2 16" oc per the answer to another question they gave
    Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 12:42PM
What color should we stain a new front door to go with red brick?
We are getting a new front door - but we don't know...
jasperjackson
Front and garage door material and paint or stain?
Love the front door and garage doors. Can you tell...
Karen Chwalek Burg
Do I paint the garage and front door or stain??
We are having a new home built. 2 story, Craftsman...
lincha2013
What colour should I paint or stain my new front door?
My house is half chocolate brown and half cream. I...
Dallas Hanson
Refinishing my Multi-function basement - Man cave
I am renovating my basement and am having trouble selecting...
John Irizarry
PLEASE HELP
Our new house has all original woodwork and we were...
K Reynolds Kearney
What do you think about Sheet Vinyl?
Here at Allan Rug we carry many types of flooring and...
Allan Rug Company
Empty space
What do I put next to the couch in this informal sitting...
valcaro
Wall color suggestions
What paint colors would go with these drapes? They...
Tracey Guyan