Would you ask to have this replaced?
falknerlpp
Thank you for weighing in on this.

We had this cabinet installed in our guest bathroom. The face of the remaining cabinets do not contain dark knots like this. Would you ask that it be replaced?
Nancy Hehmann
I would ask for it to be replaced definitely. I hope when you put yes and no that the yes meant ask for it to be replaced b/c I voted yes!!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:11AM
David J. Design Inc.
Totally not acceptable
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:15AM
onthefence
I agree with Carolina - your poll and post sort of contradict themselves a bit. I would not find it acceptable and would ask for it to be replaced.
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:15AM
Whitefield & Co, LLC
Difficult to say. The question is definitely a legitimate one. Wood cabinets that have a natural finish are typically expected to have variations in color (such as is noticeable in the drawer front in this cabinet), but the mark you have there appears to resemble a knot rather than mere wood grain or typical color variation. Assuming these are not paint-grade cabinets, I would say it's worth asking to see if the vendor would be willing to have a manufacturer's rep come out to visit the site to see if it can be replaced.
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:21AM
falknerlpp
My apologies to those of you have kindly responded so far. I didn't word this very well. I should've kept the leading question and poll question the same. Thanks for your feedback. I've done that now. :)
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:27AM
Ironwood Builders
While the defect in question is not a knot, it is darn close and an unfortunate choice for the location...if at all. I agree that asking for it to be replaced is the way to go.
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:27AM
R J Hoppe Inc
While I'm sure if you ask a rep to take a look at this casework he will tell you that it is within the aceptable standards of AWI furniture grade lumber etc etc etc., sometimes you have to take things in context. This sticks out like a sore thumb and I ask myself the question if it would be aceptable to me to send this out my door and the answer is no.
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:36AM
Catherine Gibbs
I guess I'm the odd person out, because I don't think I would worry over it myself. I love the look of wood, imperfections and all, and I'm very much a waste not want not kind of person and would hate to see a good piece of lumber tossed, and since I assume the door would be closed for the majority of the time, I would have thought most of the imperfection would be covered up. You would have thought the builder could have used that specific piece of lumber for a back panel or something though, shame on them..

Plus I like things that have a little quirk to them, but that's just me :) If you're not happy though, you're not happy, and its worth calling them
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:46AM
Billie G
Perhaps painting the cupboard will solve the issue. Still, the carpenter should've known better. Maybe in the US they will provide you with a new piece, but here in Holland I doubt it very much.
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 10:17AM
lowprofile
As comment on billy, I am also from holland, and as anywhere else in the world I think it matters what the price is, and the quality of the company who made the piece, and if it is custom made. I just bought a custom table, and I got 3 times new drawings before they started, and they put a uglier piece to the inside( as a good carpenter should have done in the first place) so you wouldn't see it. If the beam in the picture was used backward it would not be so much in the view already.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:05AM
crazycatlady
Yes, I would ask to have it replaced. It will drive you crazy, and you will hate the cabinet if you don't do anything about it. Sorry, just speaking from experience. : (
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:10AM
cyn222
yes
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:17AM
mpoulsom
Did you specify whether this is going to be stained? If it is, I would not have a problem with it at all. I'm kind of with Catherine Gibbs though. I like some quirk sometimes! :)
And like she said, if you are not happy with it, ask for them to alter it. The carpentry looks beautiful btw.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:18AM
purplebeary13
It makes it unique
    Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 5:59PM
Urban Design & Construction Ltd.
Natural wood has color variations. Although not ideal, in the second picture when you step back its not that bad.I think you look at it as a defect, and will always notice it more than guests would. I would not replace it myself.
    Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 6:34PM
Jayme H.
If it is to be stained..there are ways to make it less noticeable..I like variation, but if it is not what u like or want, then see if u can get it changed..best of luck/wishes to you.
    Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 6:39PM
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
I blend these variations in natural wood all the time. It can absolutely be repaired so that the variation is much less noticeable without replacing.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 6:52PM
Others have asked about the brick but there have been no answers.
We are building a house in GA and we love this brick....
mvkeefe
If you were to replace this floor, what would look good?
The current granite floor goes from our entry way into...
jacissa
Hi good day i would like to ask about your installation manual
i would like to aks if i can have a copy of your installation...
joanaguilar
Help needed! help decorating newly painted room
I just painted living room BM Edgecomb Gray and purchased...
cmcole01
I need a new rug for this room...
Room is about 12.5" x 12.5". I need a rug that will...
Debbie
Need help with awkward laundry room/bathroom floor plan
I have a very awkward space at the back of my house....
zannej
Window treatments for kitchen slider & windows that meet in corner
We'd like to add some privacy and character to our...
jillmmax