Paint the brick? And how would you update kitchen?
marilyn777
Hi,

This cabin is located in the Sierras in Northern California and surrounded by tall pines and Redwoods.

I'm trying to get away from too much of a cabin "theme."

Should I paint the fireplace? Or would that be a mistake? How would you update the kitchen? I don't want to paint the cabinets as they're in amazing shape.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Kitchen reminds me of the cabin I manage as a vacation rental in the Arkansas Ozarks. I don't blame you for leaving the cabinets alone. Wondering why you've left the window seat out of the conversational grouping. What other "theme" are you striving for? Not sure I'd tackle the brick until I had everything else as I wanted, and then make the determination. Might consider layering an area rug with some color over the carpet. That could provide a color to go with on the brick.Lots of people will suggest you paint the brass parts of the stove black. As for the kitchen, I don't like tile and the associated nasty grout. Think about new countertops and an apron front sink and new flooring to update the kitchen. See my rental at www.cavecreekcabin.com if you're interested.
January 31, 2013 at 2:23pm     
Chandani
My first reaction is to leave the brick as is and paint the paneling.
January 31, 2013 at 2:38pm     
carole
leave the stone as is!! i would paint out the wood on the seating at the back ! and a much more colorfull rug... as for the kitchen,yes it can be more updated new worktops and splashbacks and a new floor,bring in the colors from the stonefirplace and the colors from your furniture in the livingroom,will the kitchen have a table or island?
January 31, 2013 at 2:39pm     
marilyn777
Oh you're so right! The chairs are awkwardly placed. It's a small room that shares the dining room area. Maybe I should move the chairs directly opposite of where they are, but then they might "block" the open feeling going from kitchen to this room.
January 31, 2013 at 2:40pm   
carole
how about one on each end of the settee?
January 31, 2013 at 2:46pm     
marilyn777
@carole, thanks for the great ideas! I should consider an island. What type of flooring would all of you recommend? The pics are awful.
January 31, 2013 at 2:46pm   
libunium
The wood walls lend to the cabin feel. Consider painting them and the kitchen walls the same color. Leave the trim and the ceiling alone. Sorry for the messy photo.
January 31, 2013 at 2:48pm     
marilyn777
Thanks for all the ideas!

To get a better look, please view here: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/vac/3567302187.html

My phone camera is having issues.

I am curious to get flooring ideas for kitchen and family/dining area. Keep carpeting?

January 31, 2013 at 2:54pm   
I would white wash the pine walls. The whitewash would complement the white accents in the brick and "lighten" the space up. I think soapstone counter would look great with your pine cabinets. For the flooring throughout, I think a rough hewn hardwood floor in a walnut color would be gorgeous. I wouldn't paint the brick of the fireplace. Nice place! I probably drive by your ocassionally, on my way to Reno. :)
Winter Cabin
Wood Flooring
January 31, 2013 at 2:57pm     
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Cover the brick with a stack stone..leave the wood. Replace the countertops and backsplash. Then a new wood floor. Colonial cream granite would look great with your cabinets and a tumbled stone backspash.
January 31, 2013 at 2:59pm     
carole
i looked for a slate floor when i found that pict. will have a look at the pict on craiglist and get back to you....
January 31, 2013 at 3:15pm     
carole
my vote would be for stone or slate for the kitchen and wooden floor and rugs to define dining and living,is there room to move the settee and chairs,have you tried placing it different?is there a door between the settee and the windowseat?if not move it more towards the windowseat ,put the settee in the middle to make the "diningroom",then not use the occasional tables but have a table behind it like in the pict or one that folds so you can also use it as a diningtable,not sure if there is enough room,you might not be able to walk around then???just thinking out loud!!
January 31, 2013 at 3:52pm   
Looks like the dining space is to the right of the FP. Consider this. Angle the sofa and coffee table to face the FP with the two chairs separated, one right and one left of the sofa, facing each other over the coffee table. Move the dining table just behind the sofa and put the sofa table on the wall to the right of the FP. Since we haven't seen that area, I'm not sure the size is adequate, but just a thought for opening the living space to the windows and seat.
February 1, 2013 at 11:41am     
marilyn777
UPDATE: Here are the changes we incorporated after your feedback this weekend! What do you think?
February 4, 2013 at 12:01am     
marilyn777
More pics
February 4, 2013 at 12:03am     
missingdk
Whew! Overwhelming. My first thought was if there is a man in this house he will not be happy if I comment. However, save money initially and paint the ceiling, the walls and bricks with Oxford white by Benjamin Moore. Imparative to first do the very large sample boards using several whites to ensure they work with the outdoor lighting. Pain the beams either black or charcoal grey and find a carpet if you really like them or several rugs in colours that do not look blah or soiled. Speak to the person who does colour consulting for Benjamin Moore or write a letter to Jane Lockheart who is an expert in colour works out of Toronto, Canada. Then start bringing in some colour - your area carpets or a large patterned rug, keep your expensive purchases such as chairs and sofa in a neutral tone if you have pets try a gray microfibre which is wonderful to wipe any mess off and pet hair. Refresh your lamps and talk to a lighting store about how and where the new lights should be. It needs a hip cowboy, something that will suit the country side but not anything sleek and calling out for the city. Think intelligent, chic and easy to care for. I'd love to have this amount of space. Good Luck it looks like a very big project so take time and put a story board together so you can see you possible choices but don't stop, and end up with a half finished room.
February 4, 2013 at 1:18am     
dlapollo
Everything not walking away
should get a 3 coats of Benjamin Moore - Decorators white
February 4, 2013 at 3:15am   
carole
here a pict. of how the seatingarea could look in white or offwhite,i like the changes with the furniture,makes much better use of the space,and yes,painting takes a bit of time but it would really be worth the effort to bring this lovely cabin up to date,i think if you do this area first the brick mantel might not need to be changed,it is such a good feature to have especcially in a cabin.have you thought about putting the coffeetable and those low chairs with the seating,the diningtable looks a little high for it??
February 4, 2013 at 11:10am     
Alfieri Design
Prefab granite slabs, with new stacked stone backsplash or? and new handles...myknobs.com. You can remove the cabinets under the cook top, and go for a pro range, and stainless microwave if it has the clearance for the btu's.
Rearrange the furniture in your sitting room/den/study, and nothing on the brick wall. If you are happy with the pine and brick, don't do anything, otherwise, stackstone over the brick or remove it, and go for a built in new fireplace....
February 4, 2013 at 12:09pm     
Barnhart Gallery
Not sure if it's already been said -- I'd try replacing the white cabinetry knobs with something in the bronze family.
February 4, 2013 at 12:25pm     
adm1002
Love the living space, those beams are so great. It's personal preference but I would paint walls, ceiling and fireplace a light neutral (creamy beige gray?) but leave the beams unpainted. Will look so beautiful and make the room feel bigger. For your kitchen, I'd paint the cabs and put in new countertops and floor.
February 4, 2013 at 12:40pm     
redesign-gallery
Whitewashing the walls really makes a great difference.....do it in a slightly off white, satin finish. Leave the ceiling wood. If you use granite or soapstone in the kitchen slide a piece of that same product under the stove from back to front and even as a full stove back. That would knock down that brick continuity.....leave the rest of the brick like it is. You have many prints in the room that confuse your ability to determine what overshadows what. The brick will be a dominate influence on pattern......remove all conflicting pattern (photos) that are on the brick. Mounting single colored items is better (brass platters, wrought iron wall hanging, or nothing, i.e.) If you removed all of the printed items and pillows and any distracting shape from that room you could get a zero point to start from and for sure..........determine a theme.
Hardwood floors or wood floors out of distressed wood in the kitchen. I pull sub floor wood from old houses, run it through planer once and sander once with 36 grit, coat all sides with oil based polyurethane, screw the floor planks down, coat 2 more times with poly and wow.......what an amazing place to walk into every day . New countertops/backsplash, and some slight color on the walls like the off-white that you might consider putting over the living room paneling. Now "whitewash" means some of the wood tone will show.....depending on the extent of white washing. Simply coating in an off-white (very slightly toward cream) would get you a nice clean look and would be a bit different that white washing. Not sure you could actually get white washing effect over the coating on the paneling but could try.
Adjust the cabinet knobs after your countertops are on. Go wild.
Lots of options on furniture arrangement. Play with it all, change it often.
Nice spot............good luck.
February 4, 2013 at 1:16pm     
carole
hi marilyn,have you been to the cabin??anything changed??/just curious.......
February 21, 2013 at 1:48pm   
soberg
To change the brick, you don't have to paint it a solid color...you can just sponge on white, gold, taupe or whatever you like to blend with and soften the existing color. I have very similar brick and really disliked the loud black splotches. After softening them by sponging a few related shades only on the black bricks, the whole wall was more unified, fresher, and calmer looking. Less than 1 hour from start to finish and I had more brick than you do.
February 21, 2013 at 1:54pm     
88 Atelier for Architecture
I would leave the paneling as is and paint the brick black or white. The kitchen counter, backsplash, lighting, and flooring should all be replaced. You might also paint the underside of just the roof deck above, leaving the beams alone. Lighting is the key.
February 21, 2013 at 2:43pm     
I didn't see anyone comment on the changes you made with the furniture. I do like the new eating area incorporating the window seat. The rug under the table is too small, though and you don't have room for one. You'd need one 4' longer and 2' wider than the table for chair scoot and sit space. I'd prefer the coffee table in front of the sofa - it is a bit too large for the two chairs, but they do look better where they are now. Try the chevron hassock with them.
February 21, 2013 at 2:55pm     
marilyn777
@Carole, thanks for checking back! @soberg, might you have pics to share of your work? @decoenthusiaste -- thanks for your comments. We moved the furniture on a whim that weekend and that's the only rug I had. :-) I agree about the chair scoot and sit space. However, if I replace the rug, it encroaches on the sofa area. I'm going up again this weekend so I'll post better images then. I really appreciate everyone's feedback!
February 23, 2013 at 8:20pm     
marilyn777
@redesign-gallery WOW, thank you!!! I just read your comment. I appreciate the time you took in writing it. Lots of great ideas. Thanks!
February 23, 2013 at 8:26pm   
Interior Doors
In the home I am remodelling, all of the bedroom, bathroom...
HOW to UPDATE and give COTTAGE FEEL?
We are considering purchasing this home. It is in a...
Trying to decide between copper & porcelain sink for kitchen
Want to know what the maintenance is like for a copper...
Blank slate - Master Suite needs help!
My master is a blank slate. We have the furniture...
Laundry Room Paint Disaster!
Just for your entertainment. So, I am getting antsy...