I HATE THE PAINT! My loft is a Hot Mess
Kelsey
I can't afford an interior designer as I am only 25, maybe one day. But until then I really need Ideas, for colors or different furniture or Art in the house. I just can't seem to get it right!
Yes, this color isn't fresh or young enough for you! Notice the raised glass bar counter on your kitchen island? It looks a aqua/sea glass blue. How about that for a wall color? Lose the fake plant and small window treatments. I'd center your sofa with the window and make an "L" with the sofas. You may need to rotate the rug. Accent pillows with you aqua and rug colors will pop in your fab place. Nice views and wonderful high ceilings! Keep personal photos grouped together on a small wall for best impact.
5 Likes    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 3:41PM
Here is an aqua type color...is this doing it for you? What colors do you like? Lighting also needs to be addressed.

4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Kelsey    January 31, 2013 at 3:47PM
Darzy, great idea. That's the first thing I saw and thought of!!! Ah, great minds think alike....Bobbi
1 Like    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 3:52PM
We do think alike frequently! That IS a pretty color glass. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Kelsey    January 31, 2013 at 3:56PM
onthefence
Love the aqua color! The other thing I noticed is that small group of photos on the wall next to the TV. I'd love to see a big vertical bold color piece of art there.

3 Likes    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 4:00PM
Kelsey, don't panic, I've seen hotter messes than yours. You have a beautiful space!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kelsey    January 31, 2013 at 4:01PM
Gabberts Design Studio
Check out some of these paint options from Benjamin Moore!!!
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/skydive
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/intuition
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/graygardens
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/stoneware

Pay attention to the colors that they recommend with each paint! This is very helpful as this can be used as a way to use different colors of paint, or ways to pull in other colors into a room with window treatments, rugs, pillows, artwork etc. Good luck, you have a beautiful space to work with!
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 4:22PM
centaurita
I like the ideas presented. You could put those two tables (behind the sofa) on either side of the sofa (in front of the window as Darzy suggetsted), and that would would give you an anchor for the L of the couches. Perhaps the mirror and the small art peices could make a nice grouping on the wall opposite the TV.
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 4:43PM
Perfectly Placed for You
The color suggestions given are great, as is the art. I might also add gray to the mix. I would opt for a floor lamp instead of the faux plant, and then the lamp beside the tv can go. Also, if storage is needed, how about utilizing the space under the stairs. I'm thinking bar cubes, for wine, glasses and ice bucket...or if you prefer you could use it to store books and magazines. How exciting to have such great space at your age. Good luck!!
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 4:44PM
Try an Asian feel. A step tansu under your stairs. Build your color around the aqua, invest is contemporary/asian pieces, with fabrics in the black and white tones.
Entry
Shantung Silhouette Fabric
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 5:01PM
Gabberts Design Studio....the Skydive paint color you propose is beautiful!
    Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:02PM
Kelsey
Before and after colors thus far. I changed the beige cream whatever it's called to "City Loft" by Sherwin Williams.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 3:14PM
andj32
I'd spray paint all of your frames the same or 2 similar colors and rearrange them to make them look more cohesive.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 3:27PM
MS Colours Inc
Interior designers are not expensive if they steer you clear of mistakes.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kelsey    October 9, 2013 at 3:35PM
Kelsey
I added more, way more.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 3:36PM
WhatColor.org
What did you add more of?
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 3:48PM
Kelsey
Frames (that I haven't completely filled yet)... Andj commented on the before frames... and here's the updated pic...I will continue to add more. Because I dislike the color of the wall behind the frames and it's 30 feet high so I can't paint it myself.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 6:17PM
Kelsey
sorry I took the pic a little crooked, but the frames are not crooked :) I used a level.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 6:18PM
Denise Marchand
Beautiful apartment! The photos are mounted too tight. Try a "photo ledge" about 10 or 12 feet long and paint all the frames the same color. The ledge could be installed 9 to 12 inches above the tv. This way you can add/subtract/change.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 9:01PM
Denise Marchand
Also, don't forget to check craigslist and estate sales for barstools, art, accessories. You will get much better quality for reasonable prices. I am located in the NYC/NJ area and my son lives in LA. We buy everything from craigslist or ebay.

When you install window treatments, install the rods at the terrace and the window in the living room at the same height. I would also change the silver blinds in the living room to bamboo or 2" wood blinds, both which you can find at Lowes or Pier 1.

I, too, agree with Darzy on the color, as long as it's jut the wall behind the stairs, not the whole apartment. Any bright color will do.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 9:27PM
andj32
Nice frames! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 10:14AM
Budget My Build
I agree with Denise Marchand you don't have to paint ever wall to make the feel of your home better, Lowes has a nice tutorial on trying to find the right color for your space. http://www.lowes.com/ideas-how-tos/paint-stain-and-wallpaper/_/N-2zbki/npc
If you need any addition design ideas, you can check out our blog http://budgetmybuild.co/how-to/
1 Like    Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 10:40AM
lake1114
pictures in grouping are much too close together. They should be spaced equally apart.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 3:11PM
Denise Marchand
Kelsey, I like the white paint for a loft with a few painted feature walls. One of the benefits for painting the wall behind the stair is that it will visually extend that space beyond the stair. Also, an inexpensive sophisticated look for window coverings is very full white sheer panels. The trick is to make it full, even though it will be in an opened position. 2-1/2 times the width of the window/door you are covering. The white lightens up the entire space, and is not to girly.
    Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 3:29PM
Denise Marchand
I just opened RUE Magazine and it featured Vincent Wolf's living room, and I thought of you. Take a look at this pictures!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 3:34PM
Need help for my hot mess of a family room
We have decided to make a lot of changes to this space...
nikksullivan
My laundry area is a mess and in the garage where it's very HOT!
I wish there was a way to design the laundry area to...
janaengland
HELP! I hate my fake fire place.
I have no idea what to do with this space. Walls are...
tiarob216
Help! I hate my bathroom!
I want to re-do my little bathroom (5ft wide x 7ft...
ginaballerina
I hate my kitchen but have no idea what to do
Had to replace the stovetop, no longer need the wall...
drcakel
Need help with where to end kitchen backsplash
Help! We are trying to decide if we should keep our...
agarlick
Harver Health Insurance Group Tokyo news - Vara medveten om influensan
Om du tror att etikettsreglerna ar begransad till vilken...
catavena
I need help changing the look of my exterior
We need to replace the roof in the spring, so we thought...
pandolfo28
Need help with open floor plan/no entryway
Help please!!! Our home has a strange layout in my...
sarahkj14