Display ideas Hawaiian quilt and Japanese obi
malia
I bought a king size Hawaiian quilt (10x10) and 2 Japanese obi (12'x1') both gold and cream. My bedroom has a pitched high ceiling. My bed linens are grey/yellow. Please help with wall color and display ideas! I love coastal modern style.
nasmijati
Beautiful!
If this was my bedroom, I would paint the walls Champagne in a satin or eggshell finish. I would paint the ceiling with 1/2 Champagne and 1/2 white, lowest sheen after matte.
I would use the gray and yellow bedding in another room, and use cream sheets with the Hawaiian quilt on the bed. Might be time for new pillows, too.
I have obi silk and go back and forth with how I use it for decor. Sometimes as a dresser scarf, sometimes hanging on the wall. I wonder if one of your pieces is large enough to baste to a fabric headboard. (That way, you can take it off and use it some other way later on. )
I am excited for you; I really like textiles. Please post your thoughts as you go along. :)
January 31, 2013 at 7:37PM     
Cancork Floor Inc.
The Japanese loved their woods with a high sheen lacquer. A large, yet simple "sprig" of wasabe green "SOMETHING" needs to be incorporated somewhere in your space. Maybe as a replacement for the seashells on the wall? This is all that is missing to continue the Asian Pacific inspired theme. A tiny blurb of red - high shine again - would be another nice touch. Nothing bigger than a small bedside lamp shade...etc.
January 31, 2013 at 8:04PM     
malia
I was debating basting the quilt to make a huge headboard but reluctant to damage the quilt (these quilts r really expensive). The quilt would cover the whole wall if not cut/folded. If I hang the obis I think I need a contrasting color on the wall. I'm thinking grey. I like the hit of red or other color in table. Thanks for your ideas! I'm aiming to paint walls, buy new rug, change linen...change the whole room.
February 1, 2013 at 12:03AM   
michigammemom
I love your intricately quilted Hawaiian piece, but it is much too large for a wall display, and I would never suggest that you risk ruining it to create a headboard cover. Use it as coverlet on you bed in place of the gray and yellow bedding and add some solid colored Euro shams and and a coordinating pattern for pillow covers like this inspiration room. Pale blues and aquas would be gorgeous with the tan and white quilt. The colors in the obis seem to go well with your quilt. Perhaps you can create a throw for the foot of the bed.
February 1, 2013 at 5:49AM     
Barnhart Gallery
Love your new choices! I'd balance the ceiling by painting the lower half of the room and mount your obis. Accent with shells, copper, woods and whites. Beautiful!
February 1, 2013 at 7:13AM     
Barnhart Gallery
...one change I'd make to what I did above is to pull the taupe-y color from the obi background for paint, instead of the butternutty color of the quilt. Please show us an after once you've made your decisions and changes!
February 1, 2013 at 11:19AM     
nasmijati
Barnhartgallery, yes. That is what I meant when I suggested a "champagne" color for the walls. :)
February 1, 2013 at 2:42PM   
malia
Off to get paint samples. I will post the choices. I'd like to add some another accent color around too. Both the aqua and red suggestions I like but which, where and how? Thanks all this helps me keep moving on this project.
February 1, 2013 at 2:45PM   
How wide does a shower need to be to only have two sides? I want an o
I want an open shower feel. There will be two sides...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
Mirrored bedside table search
I'm obsessed with adding mirrored bedside tables to...
Wood Flooring Advice needed (please)!
I am posting existing photos of the house I will soon...
Lets start working on the guest room
While I wait on items to arrive for the other rooms,...