Ceiling options? Painting black??
ldoerr
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Building metal building home: want industrial chic loft look:considering leaving ceiling with exposed metal beams and spray foam between, then painting black?? Silver exposed ductwork? Leaving the floors gray concrete with a little darker veining. No walls except bathrooms, 8 foot tall no ceiling open top. Bare bulb pendant lighting. One wall 14 ft for kitchen area area behind it for guests. Mastered in open, sheer chiffon type drapery hanging from pipes to cover bed. Any suggestions appreciated. Anyone painted spray foam?? Or ideas besides sheet rocking it in?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I'm concerned about the chemical interaction of spray foam and paint. Specialty paint is probably necessary. How hard would it be to add a flange to each side of your joists and Sheetrock in between? Oh wait! I'm a contractor and can answer that! Too much compared to painting what is there! But the foam will not be flat, so it is a distraction thing. Dropping lights, like halogen down lights, from the ceiling will create a light barrier to the ceiling. Makes it harder to see the cheat. It is a cheat BTW. Not a finish. You idea of bare bulbs is similar but I assume you mean decorative Edison's. Hip, but really dim. One other idea that would be less than Sheetrock to cover the foam is suspended ceiling. More of the same. It costs, but no Sheetrock finishing and the tiles paint well. Also make it possible to cover Romex wire so you avoid the cost of all electrical in armored cable or conduit for your industrial look. Actually a big $$ savings. May be a wash and give a more polished look to the finished ceiling.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 5:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bergilmore
I am curious if you went ahead and painted the spray foam insulation? If so, how did it go?
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
How to cover shallow depth windows?
We have a window with a 1/2" deep window frame and...
lwg808
Family room needs help
Not sure if coffee table suits the room. Looking for...
cleanlady1
Best Homemade Gift?
As more people try to simplify their holiday giving...
Emily Hurley
Need new living room furniture....
We have a uniquely shaped living room where the hearth...
breadgirl
Kitchen layout help
Buying a fixer upper farmhouse, and doing reno on a...
Bobby Ziesel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™