Huge island in a small Kitchen
eriwoo
What should I do with this Island? It was okay for my wife and I when we first moved in this house but now we have a three and a six year old and it seems to take up much of your kitchen and dinning areas. I have half a mind to cut is down the middle.
HI -- As a former kitchen designer , I see many problems here . It almost looks like this was a salvaged kitchen from some another house . That big sliding door closet is taking up too much space and is crowding the stove . The island is too big for the space . And the fridge is maybe not in the best spot or it could be made to have a more built in look. If your budget only allows for altering the island , then yes try that , but you will be losing some storage. If you can afford a remodel then maybe that is the answer . Then the whole thing can be redesigned to work better for a growing family. Have a couple of kitchen designers from some better cabinet companys in to give you a price for a new kitchen, just to give you some ideas.
January 31, 2013 at 9:30PM     
panjatty
I'm guessing the large closet is either a laundry area or a pantry -- neither of which you'd want to do away with, nor should you. Regarding your island dilemma... Can you remove the shelves and cabinets from the back (dining area) side and put stools there for the kids? That way they'd be more a part of the action in the kitchen, but out from underfoot. If you can afford it, you could then get a new countertop for the island that is a good 12" narrower and still have plenty of room for the kids' stools. Two questions to ask before you start... Does the tile continue under the island? If not, can you match it? It would be a real shame if your quick fix turned into having to choose whether to replace all the floor tile or live with a section that doesn't match.
January 31, 2013 at 9:59PM   
eriwoo
The tile does not continue under the island however ,the previous owner left a lot of extra tile behind. My wife and I are joking to give up the storage on the backside and even shorten the storage on the kitchen side. We are going to.be in this house longer.than expected so we have started to search for way to be a bit more comfortable.
January 31, 2013 at 10:10PM   
panjatty
Well, that's perfect then! The flooring is a non-issue. Then you could shrink the depth of the island AND move it out of the kitchen a bit to give you more people space in there. It's a shame to lose the storage -- and I really like your giant jars on the shelves! But I remember what it was like to have a small kitchen and small children who always want to be in it with you. Finding a spot that keeps them out from underfoot but still in the midst of things is essential!
January 31, 2013 at 10:31PM   
panjatty
Is that a pantry in the kitchen or washer/dryer? If just a pantry, you could take it out, move the fridge to that wall and put more countertop between the stove & fridge. You might even be able to reuse some of the base cabinets from under the island and put in open shelving above for your jars. Then build a smaller pantry where the fridge is now. It could be shallower to give you more room to come in & out that door, too.
January 31, 2013 at 10:37PM   
eriwoo
It is a pantry but unfortunately the water heater is on the other side of the wall there.
February 1, 2013 at 6:44AM   
panjatty
Are you in a climate that would allow you to move the water heater out into the garage? Or directly below if there's a basement? It would involve some plumbing & electrical work, but might be worth it to gain more space and better function in the kitchen. Especially if you're going to be there awhile.
February 1, 2013 at 7:46AM   
Server/buffet
I want to get a server/buffet for my dining room but...
Need help for our kitchen
We are currently thinking of remodeling our kitchen...
Buffet turned into an island
I really like how my project turned out. Just seems...
POLL: Which is your side of the bed?
People sometimes stake claims to their side of the...
Need coloring ideas for entry shelves, staircase, & walls!
We just bought our 1st house! Exciting stuff. Looking...