Where to put a peninsula or an island.
buggzeeeeee
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This seems like a good place to get some ideas, I seemed to be stumped as where to put maybe an island or peninsula. We are in the process of going to an engineer to get rid of what's left of this wall. It's soooo much bigger now between the dining room and kitchen but the problem I'm having, do I have enough room for and island or peninsula? I wanted something in between the dining table and the kitchen to sit, but the doorway and the hallway are throwing me off. The third picture is coming from the(will be mud room)into the kitchen and the second is from the hallway. 4th is from far wall near sink. Each room is only about 11x13. I just dont want it to look crowded, he whole house is being done so I'm getting a head start on ideas. Thank you
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mhogle2
We just got done doing something similar. We took down the wall between the kitchen and the dining room which created a room 12''8 x 21. Our new island is 3'8 feet wide. If your is 11 feet wide you have to make sure you have at least 3 feet from the island to the wall or a cabinet. We have 3 feet to the cabinet and 4 feet to the wall behind the barstools. I am so glad we did this.
   February 1, 2013 at 4:19AM
mhogle2
This is a picture of the wall behind the barstools before we finished the project.
   February 1, 2013 at 4:27AM
PRO
Dytecture
It's easier to find potential solutions with a properly scaled floor plan.
   February 1, 2013 at 6:03AM
bubblyjock
How exciting - lucky you!

Think about the traffic flow - for one or more people, 4' is the minimum comfortable distance between cabinets and island or table, chairs, etc. If it's a busier traffic area, then you'll need a bit more. Don't make an island much more than 4' wide, as it becomes awkward to reach across, and cabinets are generally only 2' deep, so there will be wasted space in the middle.

Ikea have a free downloadable kitchen design program that's really user-friendly, and is very helpful in these situations; saves you wasting a designer/contractor's time until you're ready for their input, and you can shunt things around in 3D for an even better idea of how your space will work. Cabinet dimensions are standard throughout the industry, so even if you go with another cabinet-maker, the specs will be pretty much the same.

If you have a cooperative contractor and time to spare, try rigging a pretend island from cardboard boxes, or 2x4s and a sheet of ply, to see how/if it works for you. You'll be surprised how it affects traffic flow - for better or worse!
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 6:24AM
buggzeeeeee
Thank you I will try that
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 3:40AM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Bubblyjock has provided some good suggestions. In addition to the 4' walk ways, provided at least 42" from counter edge to counter edge. With these parameters in mind you should be able to lay the kitchen out on a piece of grid paper and determine if the island or peninsula concepts work for the way you live and if so, how large you can comfortably make these elements.
   February 2, 2013 at 9:01AM
buggzeeeeee
Was thinking if I remove the door all together I could do something like this where the wall is thats coming down right now, but flush against the wall where the door was,, this is more of a place to sit , but with cabinets, instead of the kitchen table like watch tv and drink morning coffee and look out my 6ft window that i will b putting in :) and look at the deer in my back yard or watch the tv that will b under cabinet. Decisions decisions :)
   February 3, 2013 at 2:39AM