Our Fixer Cottage
Karyn Jolink
This is our cottage a run down fixer in a great location minutes from the beach but a diamond in the rough we are gradually bringing it back to life well also trying to enjoy our time there A project this spring that I have be excited to get to is to paint the exterior we plan to board n batten the white sun porch area and paint it the same as the body of the cottage and a platform deck will run across the front and the 2 trees removed The lot is shady with tall mature tulip trees and beautiful birch trees my dilemma is in choosing a colour for the exterior I am leaning toward a warm grey with white trim and red and black accents but part of me is wanting to try something different something new. Any suggestion ?
Grey or a dark charcoal exterior would feel quite contemporary.

February 1, 2013 at 8:14AM     
Karyn Jolink
I agree and would suit cottage which has a mid century modern look to it
February 1, 2013 at 1:03PM   
claudiann
I don't know if it is the weather or time of day but your setting looks very dark. If it is very shady as you say I don't think I would like a gray. If you are near the beach I would go with something cheerier. A screened in porch would be nice to add to your deck. Then you could treat the front of the house as more of an interior wall. Either way I would want something light...maybe tan. I personally would want to get rid of all of the trees near the house. It looks as if you might have mildew/mold with all of that shade. I can't tell what is under the windows but I would not paint it out in a contrasting color as it is now. I would want to get rid of that overhang thingy. New door and windows would be good. Good luck. It sounds as if it would be a fun project.
February 1, 2013 at 3:25PM     
Karyn Jolink
Thank You for your response and your right I should have picked a brighter picture, this was near the end of the day in January. We had thought of a screened in porch but have decided we want nothing to block the views from our floor to ceiling windows which let in so much light and are one of the best features of our cottage. The shade is dappled and we do get a fair amount of sun and see no signs of mildew in spite of the cottage being about 50 years old New doors will be installed after all exterior painting has been done and the scalloped over hang thingy will stay and will popped even more once painted with a contrasting colour I think I am second guessing myself and will stick with my plans for a rich shade of grey as the interior of the cottage with the high ceilings and big windows is very light airy and beachy and yes it is a fun project . Thanks Again
February 5, 2013 at 3:49PM     
I also like this look… a lighter grey with simple landscaping.

February 5, 2013 at 3:55PM     
onthefence
What a charming cottage! I like the looks of the Eichler above - but think that color is suited more to an urban/suburban environment.

For houses that are in the trees or and a wooded area, I prefer the look of the photo that Dytecture posted. I like something where you see the trees and other natural landscape and THEN realize there's a house there. When the house is too light in color or too bright, I think you see the house before you see the surroundings.

The warm gray sounds like it would be beautiful with the birch trees.
February 5, 2013 at 4:03PM   
Here's a handful of inspiration. I think I prefer light, but you can pop the dark gray with a shot or two of really hot color that will help overcome a very shady location.
Swanky Modern Retreat
Carmel Mid-Century LEED
Breakers Beach House
Cloud Street Residence
February 5, 2013 at 4:04PM     
Need help with our new fixer-upper kitchen!
We just bought this fixer-upper house and as you can...
We completely transformed our fixer-upper
We purchased a house last year that needed major upgrades....
Our New Kitchen in our Cottage by the Sea!
DH & I bought a cottage near the beach a year and a...
Where's chookchook?
Our beloved chookie hasn't been heard from in days....
Awkward corner fireplace
We have a very large sized gas corner fireplace. I'm...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...