Help with stone exterior!
Randi Metcalf Harville
Desperately in need of curb appeal. I'm not crazy about the stacked stone and the house looks so dated. Any ideas on how to improve the exterior other than painting the wood trim and concrete steps and replacing the porch railings? Should the stone be replaced or covered with something else (is that even possible)? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Marilyn Wilkie
Personally, I love the way your house looks now. But I love stacked stone. It really has a lot of character. The only thing that seems amiss in my opinion is the color of the stairs. I do think that someone could help you with trim colors that would make it stand out more. Also maybe a landscape update is in order. But I do love the stone and the walkway.
February 1, 2013 at 12:43PM   
sayboone
I completely agree with Marilyn. Start by painting the stairs and see what that does. Maybe replace the existing shrubs with something flowering, like azaleas or hyudrangea for a little extra color, and paint the soffit and trim the same color. But the stacked stone is great!
February 1, 2013 at 12:47PM   
Lizabeth
I am going to agree with the above posters. The stone is wonderful and real. So much nicer than the faux stuff being done these days. Yes redo the stairs and cut back the landscaping it is about three feet two high and crowding the steps. If you want some sizzle, remove about ten feet of landscape and wrap the steps in a miter around the current porch with very nice wood that compliments the color of the concrete steps. High end wood, like jatoba or an imported dark wood would be so lovely and gracious. Go dark on the trim around the windows. That is a lovely house that needs a tiny bit of updating. Good luck. That house as good bones, Just make the steps a bit wider.
February 1, 2013 at 1:44PM     
Maybe this will inspire you. A nice mix of stacked stone and shingles/siding. You could pull this off in a different color palette to enhance your stone color.
Front Porch Makeover Summer 2010 1
Front Porch Makeover Summer 2010 2
Craftsman home exterior
Craftsman exterior
February 1, 2013 at 1:51PM     
sayboone
Deco, is that your house? So gorgeous!! (And I am jealous of your garden....) :)
February 1, 2013 at 1:53PM     
Randi Metcalf Harville
Thanks! What do you all think about adding shutters? I realize they would have to be really narrow (too narrow to even look like they'd cover the windows if they were even functional) and I realize that it's probably a sin to put shutters on a bay window BUT it looks okay on this cute house. And I wonder if the shutters would add something to the front.

Mitered steps? I'm having trouble picturing what that means. Would that just be an addition around the current steps or would we start from scratch?
February 1, 2013 at 1:55PM   
yvonnecmartin
I'd redo the landscaping and paint the window frames to match the stone. You especially need some landscaping under the bay window. Try to find a landscape architect who will give you a plan to execute as you have money and time.
February 1, 2013 at 1:59PM   
Lizabeth
What I mean by mitered steps is is adding to the existing steps by wrapping around the porch. You have a straight run of steps now. You could just make them wider and/or you could turn the corner and make the steps form a right angle meeting at a miter by the drainpipe. Each step would be a little larger. As you go out of the front door you could turn right and gone down the steps and land in the garden or you could go straight.. It would bring the house a more current look and look gracious. You would have room to some lovely potted plants.

Or you could make the second step from the top wider and the third wider still and flair them out so that the bottom step is twice as wide as the top one. That can look very welcoming as well.

You may be able to build a new set ontop of the old or you might have to demo the concrete.
February 1, 2013 at 2:23PM     
rohollo
I think no shutters. Keep it more clean line. I like the stone. Shrubs are too large. Definitely paint steps. Maybe a picket fenced yard. I would say this is a cottage.
February 1, 2013 at 3:00PM     
EXTERIOR stone!! Please i need help for change the exterior
I need help for change color of walls of the exterior....
need help on finding this stone for exterior
what kind of stone is this? where can you purchase...
i need a help of put stone on exterior wall
i dont have image..but i wann to know about stone cladding...
Need help pairing exterior brick and stone
We are building a home that will have 2 stone gables...
Need help choosing brick and stone for exterior of home
We are building a new one-story home and I am having...
Poll: Keep or replace old kitchen?
Hi everyone, this is the old kitchen that exists in...
Need help to choose wall tiles and floor tiles! Help please
I have a white shaker kitchen with black and little...
Living/Dining Room Combo
Hi I am trying to figure out how to layout this space....
Craftsman Living Room/Dining Room Help
This post replaces my request for suggestions in hiring...