What is the countertop and backsplash in this kitchen? Are these bamboo cabinets?
sujathas
February 1, 2013 in Photo Questions
Lee Edwards - residential design
Countertop is Pental Quartz - Cascade white
Backsplash is Glassstone Tan Brown - Bullet
Cabinets are VG Fir (horizontal grain orientation
February 4, 2013 at 7:42PM   
sujathas
What is the finish on the cabinets. Did you spray lacquer on them? Does it darken over time? Or do you recommend using a water-based clear finish to avoid the darkening?
March 5, 2013 at 5:31AM   
Lee Edwards - residential design
Thanks for your question sujathas. We used a satin laquer/conversion varnish on the fir cabinets above. It offered a nice matte finish that was still protective. The fir veneer was on the lighter blond side and my clients wanted to preserve that as much as possible (knowing that the fir WILLdarken over time when exposed to UV). Honestly, I think that darkening becomes a color that is rich and warm and beautiful as well. I used reclaimed fir cabinets in my own home and I used Osmo Polyx Oil (clear, not tinted) on them. The reclaimed fir tends to go to a darker orange when it is exposed to UV, while younger, more open-grained fir stays a bit blonder. This is definitely the case when comparing my cabinets (see attached images) to the project above.
March 6, 2013 at 12:01AM   
Bedding like this?
I've been searching off and on for a while. This is...
Double /triple garage design
Hi all, we are presently knocking down our existing...
paint color for brick house
I want to paint the brick here. I'm leaning towards...
What rug size do I get?
I recently just got a beautiful dining table from restoration...