How would you integrate this cabinet in pantry?

cyclingthroughlifeFebruary 1, 2013
I'm thinking of buying this old cabinet salvaged from a Craftsman house. It would be going into the pantry in a house we are renovating.

We don't have a recessed wall niche that it is going into. Instead it is going on a side of a wall and then I'm thinking of surrounding both sides with "something" (shelving, another cabinet?)

The cabinet is about 60 inches wide and the wall is about 100 inches wide - so about 20 inches on each side to do something with. Because of the location of the door and window in this room, the max depth of the "something" on each side can only be 14 inches. The cabinet height is 80 inches high and the ceiling height is 96 inches. "something" can also be added to the top to bring it to the ceiling.

Now the hard question - what "something" would you put on either side and top to integrate this cabinet in the pantry?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
More of the same! Open shelving up top...or lift the bottom and add baseboard, face frame shelving on the sides with a similar rhythm. I like the piece! Have you checked out the wood beneath the paint? And watch out for lead based paint. containment is crucial. Too bad the upper doors are gone. Looks to be from a Sears or Aladdin kit home. Best of luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 6:46PM
lindadeason
Wow what a beautiful piece of work! This would look really nice with some shelving built on either side, using a beadboard backing to tie it together and making the shelves a bit shallower than the cabinet... With a simple crown moulding at the top.. Yum
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 6:48PM
ispeakwhale
Nice score! Make it work whatever you do! :))
1 Like    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 6:50PM
cyclingthroughlife
Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm picking up the cabinet tomorrow. Also, the leaded glass doors do come along with it - although one of them needs repair. As you all suggest, I'll surround it with shelves on either side and will unfortunately leave the top alone (due to the unfortunate placement of a fire sprinkler head in the ceiling where I want to place the cabinet). I plan on adding a crown moulding on the top to round it out. Now the fun part - stripping the paint to get to the wood.
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 9:40PM