How would you integrate this cabinet in pantry?

cyclingthroughlifeFebruary 1, 2013
I'm thinking of buying this old cabinet salvaged from a Craftsman house. It would be going into the pantry in a house we are renovating.

We don't have a recessed wall niche that it is going into. Instead it is going on a side of a wall and then I'm thinking of surrounding both sides with "something" (shelving, another cabinet?)

The cabinet is about 60 inches wide and the wall is about 100 inches wide - so about 20 inches on each side to do something with. Because of the location of the door and window in this room, the max depth of the "something" on each side can only be 14 inches. The cabinet height is 80 inches high and the ceiling height is 96 inches. "something" can also be added to the top to bring it to the ceiling.

Now the hard question - what "something" would you put on either side and top to integrate this cabinet in the pantry?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Ironwood Builders
More of the same! Open shelving up top...or lift the bottom and add baseboard, face frame shelving on the sides with a similar rhythm. I like the piece! Have you checked out the wood beneath the paint? And watch out for lead based paint. containment is crucial. Too bad the upper doors are gone. Looks to be from a Sears or Aladdin kit home. Best of luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 6:46PM
lindadeason
Wow what a beautiful piece of work! This would look really nice with some shelving built on either side, using a beadboard backing to tie it together and making the shelves a bit shallower than the cabinet... With a simple crown moulding at the top.. Yum
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 6:48PM
ispeakwhale
Nice score! Make it work whatever you do! :))
1 Like    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 6:50PM
cyclingthroughlife
Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm picking up the cabinet tomorrow. Also, the leaded glass doors do come along with it - although one of them needs repair. As you all suggest, I'll surround it with shelves on either side and will unfortunately leave the top alone (due to the unfortunate placement of a fire sprinkler head in the ceiling where I want to place the cabinet). I plan on adding a crown moulding on the top to round it out. Now the fun part - stripping the paint to get to the wood.
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 9:40PM
How to integrate bar back with wall?
I want to replace our carpet with wood floors, but...
annettea
Like the corner pantry...Do you have a picture of how it looks closed?
I love this corner pantry and the use of the hard to...
janetkawabe
How to integrate spaces in a small apartment living room?
Hi everyone! I´m Giancarlo and a live in Vitória,...
Giancarlo Zardo
Would you rather have a Kitchen Desk area with 36" pantry cabinet or Larger Pantry?
We are doing a total gut of our kitchen. My current...
phyrfly63
Farmhouse sink
We have had farmhouse sink in a new build house for...
azfamily8
Entry/laundry/mudroom Drain Solution
We would like drainage in the mudroom for easier cleanup...
Stan McDowell
rental kitchen
college students renting! we are gonna be here for...
lb_erau
Picked the wrong paint color, need help :(
We recently bought a new home and had the entire house...
amber6189
Should we paint original woodwork in Victorian home?
We own and rent out my childhood home. It's a Victorian...
ziggi10