Lighting suggestions needed
keciamarsh
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I installed a way too small medicine cabinet and need lots of lighting for my bathroom. I was going to put lighted sconces on each side but am not sure that they will provide enough light for a small dark bathroom (there is no overhead lighting). Do you think I should also add lights above the vanity? If so, how many arms/lights should the fixture have?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abbshel
Honestly, I think you need to uninstall the med cab. It's never going to look right. You need a nice large mirror above your sink with wall mounted lighting above it. Move your med cab to a different wall if you need it.
4 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:19PM
Carol @ Elephant Buffet
I agree with losing the medicine cabinet. Get your hands on a dark framed mirror (maybe a similar color to your vanity?) or even a bevel-edge full-glass one. But definitely much bigger. I'm not a huge fan of top-mounted sconces/vanity lighting, but in this instance, I think it's your only option. Go for a three-arm fixture in maybe a dark finish. What type of finish will your fixtures have?
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:34PM
keciamarsh
Thanks for the feedback. Storage has to be maximized in the space, hence the need for a medicine cabinet. Unfortunately there are no other walls it can be placed on.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:00PM
keciamarsh
Finishes are brushed nickel
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:04PM
abbshel
Is this a full bath?
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:09PM
keciamarsh
Yes, it's a full bath (shower stall, no tub) on the first floor
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:11PM
sjkingston
Look for a very tall medicine cabinet to replace the smaller smaller one. My husband is 6'5" so I splurged on extra tall cabinets that provides double the storage of regular ones. Expensive but it balanced out the vanity and provided much needed storage. One you have the medicine cabinet resized, it will be easier to pick the light fixture. If you have overhead lighting, then two scones, one on each side, should provide adequate light. Go for a classic look (Restoration Hardware has a great selection and outlet stores in some towns). Enjoy.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:56PM
PRO
KADesign
I agree, ditch the small medicine cabinet but also get your electrician to put in pot lights or an flush ceiling mount fixture with sufficient wattage. If you have an Ikea store nearby the "Hemnes" mirror cabinet with 2 mirrored doors is in a black brown finish. It comes in 2 different sizes and could fit the bill. Check out their website for ideas. The concept is good but you could have it custom made if you don't want to use that specific unit. If you do use it make sure you install it with enough room for your faucet.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:12PM
PRO
Galleria Place
The cabinet could go...you may want to try a small over the toilet cabinet. We have some very nice Holly & Martin pieces to choose from: http://www.bargainbacker.com/BATHROOM-CABINETS_c_4766.html
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:21PM