What to do with this hideous shelving unit?
seppysills
I know I should just take it down and buy something better but we are stuck with it for now. Any ideas to make this cheap Ikea shelving unit in our bathroom prettier (and covered?) - doors? Curtains? Paint? Any creative way to make it look better? As you may be able to see the paint in the room is live a light sea green (came w the house). Thanks!
Shawna
Instead of covering it, how about taking out one shelf and then staging it nicely. Put the not so pretty but needed products into some nice baskets and then some nicely folded towels, something decorative like candles or glass jars with cotton balls, etc. Maybe a remnant piece of wallpaper on the back panel...
February 2, 2013 at 7:05AM     
Rachel
I really like the idea of wallpaper on the back panel. And you can totally paint the cupboard if you use a good primer.
February 2, 2013 at 7:16AM     
seppysills
Excellent idea - I really thought adding a covering would be the way to go but baskets, organization and a bit of detail in the background may do it. We don't have a towel closet for that bathroom so it's kinda of a needed space. But taking a shelf out may be the way to go. That's why I love you houzzers!
February 2, 2013 at 7:23AM   
2bsmaller
Agree with @Rachel about the wallpaper in the back panel. You can also achieve similar results using paint or removable vinyl decals to decorate it.
February 2, 2013 at 7:24AM     
seppysills
Any ideas for paint color if I decided to paint the whole unit?
February 2, 2013 at 8:15AM   
kinz9999
I like it white, and I agree with the wallpaper on the back.
February 2, 2013 at 8:18AM   
awestman
Yes.. a nice bold, colorful print for the wallpaper and the unit may stay white.. this way, it pops like an artpiece, especially if you paint the walls in a color complimentary to the wallpaper.. better yet, use the wallpaper on the backing AND that one entire wall
February 2, 2013 at 8:27AM   
Linda
The best part of working with IKEA products is the versatility. You might be able to go to IKEA and buy doors for the cabinet since you need the storage space. Also, the doors don't have to cover the entire unit; you can get doors for two thirds the height and retain one open shelf.

I like the green walls with the white fixtures
February 2, 2013 at 9:06AM     
Match siding with roof shingles?
Hi, we are leaning towards 'flagstone' color siding...
How should I bring some life and spunk in this room?
I live in an apartment in Mumbai, Infia. Here, like...
Guest room not very guest friendly. Please help!
Smallish guest room is 12'6" x 11'3", but has high...
Picture gallery around tv
I need some advice for this arrangement of pictures....
Need to warm this space up
I need a little help. This space needs some design....