Help with window treatment ideas
tammycolaFebruary 2, 2013
So I have these windows in my living room that I want to dress differently. I was thinking of a pole close to the ceiling and 4 long panel drapes. I am planing on painting soon and want to change the look of the windows without breaking the bank of course. Also if I do a pole close to the ceiling, do I need to do the same thing in my dining room which is open to this room and windows are pretty close together. Thanks for your ideas...
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tammycola
The window in dining room is a sliding glass door. And blinds must stay on all windows for privacy. Forgot that tidbit...
    Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 12:30PM
Matteo Dezigns
Your windows are lower than most, so adding height to the room is good. However, be careful not to go too high as it will be 'odd' looking. Try hanging the bar half way between where the bar is now and the ceiling. Yes, do the same for the dining room! Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 12:34PM
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
I would loose that valance! You can not go heigher then 4-6" above the frame as Matteo Dezigns pointed out. Your best solutions wold be fixed pannels on both ends of your window: as for dining room I would respect the same height but put some light sheers:)))
1 Like    Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 12:42PM
PRO
Christine Bhe, Bhe Design LLC
I agree with the previous comment about mounting the pole half way between the top of the window and the ceiling. Removing the valance will help de-emphasize the low horizontal line of the window. Don't assume buying 4 panels and hardware at a retail store will be less expensive than having a designer that does window treatments help you. Let them know your budget up front - there are many solutions and fabric choices depending on your tastes.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 12:54PM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Lutron makes roller shades with remotes in dozen of fabrics that can allow you a shade less view except when you don't want it. They can even be light controllers and can be programed to open and shut with your TV remote.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 4:06PM
jewel1229
Hi - yes, I think yoiu should do the same treatments on both windows. Perhaps sheer panels. You can iron on some sort of designed tassel on the edges of the sheers in a different colour to give it a little design and colour. Hope this helps :)
1 Like    Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 4:13PM
PRO
Hrivnak Associates, Ltd.
Out of the box alternate approach - look into photochromic glass. When "off" its clear. "Dimmer" switch can get it to 90% opaque. Low voltage so miniscule energy cost. If you want to spend more, it can be programmed to respond to lighting conditions. No cleaning the window coverings. No replacing them every so many years. No blocking the view or the light which is why the window is there in the first place. Admittedly, a more modern/contemporary approach. If you do use "drapes", just don't have the stack when they're open cover any of the glazing. Hope this helps.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 4:13PM
tammycola
Thank you everyone. Great ideas.
    Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 5:17AM
marshadraskovich
Matchstick blinds are an inexpensive and updated look if you ever choose to replace the blinds. I like your idea of raising the rod for panels, and would also extend them past the window frame to cover the wall. This could also be done in the dining room using only one panel on the stationary side of the slider. Panels would conceal the vertical blinds there when open. Make sure the panels are full, wimpy just doesn't cut it. Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 5:39AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend a decorative rod it should be mounted 6'' above the window frame . I would also suggest the 4 panels but i would make them a lot smaller then the usual 24'' you don't want it to look like a wall of fabric. I would measures so that the drapery covers just a little of each of the windows and tie them with holders to finish the look. I would also suggest getting pillows made in the same fabric or tones for the couch to tie the whole look together.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
1 Like    Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 6:18AM