Hallway nook - help for staging
Tricia G
i'm attempting to stage our home for sale. does anyone have ideas for paint color in the hallway and a creative way to use the nook. any help appreciated!
passion8decor8or
Is this hallway in the entry way? Will that bench fit in the nook? If so, you could put the bench in there and add hooks above it for coats, etc. For colors, I'd pick a warm, inviting color like a gray or darker beige.
February 2, 2013 at 12:53pm     
DIAspoton
first thought is a pretty coat tree or coat tree/umbrella stand combo if this is near a door. what colors are in the adjoining room?
February 2, 2013 at 12:54pm   
HI -- Best not to have the small bench in the hallway . In the nook - install (build in ) a thick shelf across at about 36 inches high and hang a pretty framed mirror above and put the two vases that are on top of that book case now ,placed a little to one side or something pretty and have a small single stool under and that's all you need there . I don't mind the wall color but if you are going to paint , then do a warmer neutral tone (light creamy tan) or an antique white.
February 2, 2013 at 1:06pm   
rookery
If its ok to purchase a few things perhaps a train type coat rack, similar to ones at Pottery Barn, in nook area with bench below it. I would paint the bench & ditch the cushion. Then you can place purses or boots on top. Then a long framed mirror on the wall.
February 2, 2013 at 1:32pm   
What is the pink in the picture?
Traditional Coat Stands And Umbrella Stands

This coat rack is cute and inexpensive and useful. Use it on the flat wall. In the nook put in some floating shelves and for the open house just put some gloves, a hat and a scarf and keys for display. Gives the idea there is somewhere to hang a coat and drop the other stuff.
Box Mirror Shelves - West Elm

And a small rug which reflects the color in the adjoining room.
Bogart Flat-Weave Wool Rug
February 2, 2013 at 1:34pm   
carolwilkinson
I am a stager. I would recommend removing bench and placing art on wall.
February 2, 2013 at 1:38pm   
Dar Eckert
Put the bench in the nook and the dresser on the wall.
February 2, 2013 at 1:49pm   
DecoREISta.com
I'm a Stager and new to Houzz. I've 'curated' a few pieces specifically for you! That nook would be ideal for a super tall mirror, or a mirror with a rotating base that has shelving when you spin it around. You could also add a funky chest where the bench is now...or a console with an ottoman tucked under...so you still have somewhere to sit when you need to put on your shoes...and it can also provide storage! Hope it helps/inspires you! Hold your mouse over the image and it will expand.
February 2, 2013 at 2:05pm   
Tricia G
Thank you all for these wonderful ideas!
February 5, 2013 at 6:11pm   
Melissa Doan - Weidel Realtors - New Hope
Hi Tricia - where is this hallway? My answer would depend on where it is and what rooms are next to it. If it is next to a seating area (i.e. in a one story home etc), the nook should be staged with a dry bar, if it is in an upstairs hallway near a bathroom, an apothocary shelf set up of some kind... if in a hallway near bedrooms or not really near anything, put a build in bench in it or a just your bench and a reading lamp or swing arm sconce and books nearby (on a small shelf/under bench on a shelf/bench etc.). If the house lacks closets, make a closet... if in/nearest to an entryway, the coat rack/mini mud room set up is appropriate... these are my suggestions for resale appeal and flow/functionality.
February 5, 2013 at 6:19pm   
The nook just has to be appropriately purposed to show buyers that it IS a useful part of the house, not just a nook with random odds and ends. They need to picture themselves physically using the space.
February 5, 2013 at 6:20pm     
Dar Eckert
Can you put a door on the alcove for a closet?
February 7, 2013 at 4:58am     
DecoREISta.com
I love Dar Eckert's idea...and if I may add to that...a full length mirror affixed to the whole door (with a magnetic closure (no knob).
February 7, 2013 at 6:04am   
rosemar85800
I agree with placing the bench in the nook.
May 27, 2014 at 7:17pm   
rosemar85800
Add a coat rack that matches the bench.
May 27, 2014 at 7:20pm   
rocketjcat
Old post.
May 27, 2014 at 7:55pm   
How can I fill this hallway nook?
I need to fill this hallway nook that measures approx....
How to decorate a nook area in the hallway??
I have a small nook area that is lighted with a cabinet...
How to decorate a hallway nook?!?
We are having trouble figuring out how to decorate...
I need help with an original design for this Foyer
Because the client doesn't want a center table and...
Should I replace the cabinets?
I bought a house from the 60s. Wallpaper, shag carpet,...
Teeny tiny bath needs an easy backsplash - HELP!
Hi guys - need the advice of some Houzzers. We recently...
Teen girl trying to decide furniture layout
Hi, I just got my own room ad am trying to decide how...