Open concept furniture placement
Julie Dyer
Is it okay to put the back of your couch towards dining area in an open concept living room?

Floor plan pictured below. ( I want to use the wall on the other side by the window for TV because I dont' want to put TV over the fireplace and I dont' see any other way to arrange furniture). Couch will be 85" x 85" sectional (photo).
Julie Dyer
where the large double window is in the floor plan layout is a fireplace instead, also pantry removed to open the bottom of stairway and a cedar beam added.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:05AM
Julie Dyer
Anyone?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:39AM
Julie Dyer
Help?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:18AM
dorphil
Yes i think it is preferred to put the back of the couch facing DR. It creates definition of sep rooms without a wall. You will rarely have people sitting in Lvg rm and eating dinner. I also dont like tvs above fireplaces. PS how did u give up ur pantry..i luv having a pantry!
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 7:25AM
mrseight
I see this all the time, usually with a console table behind the sofa. And, I like the idea of using the sofa to to help define the areas.
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:26AM
Julie Dyer
Thanks so much for the comment, I tried looking at photos but it's so hard to see the next rooms to really know and I've never had open concept before. It's harder than i thought lol We gave up the pantry to open up the stairway. We changed the layout and made 1st floor bath a powder room only and made our laundry room bigger in order to have pantry/storage there. The downstairs bedroom as it shows on the floor plan is going to be an office/den. There are 3 bedrooms up w/ 2 full bathrooms as well.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:28AM
Julie Dyer
I do have a console table, but it's a dark wood tone and my new dining room table is from RH in natural, not sure if that would clash since our floors are hardwood and dark as well. It just seems so odd to me to look at a back of the couch but open concept is so different from typical.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:31AM
Main Line Kitchen Design
Back of the couch is fine to the dining area. You can sofen the look with a sofa back table if there is room. I actually like the TV over the fireplace if the mantle is low enough. It keeps one focal point in the room. However, in my own home I don't get to have it this way and still remain married.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 7:37AM
clabarre
I have a similar floor plan with my sofa backing the dining area. Kitchen as you can see is off to the left. Fireplace is angled in our room, to my right.
(Ignore mess and small child whining about having to do homework on a Sunday morning :-)
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:47AM
Julie Dyer
Our TV is pretty large and I don't think we have room over the fireplace (8 ft. ceilings) with stone going to celing and a cedar beam for mantle. I'd prefer putting it against the wall next to the door, not sure to hang it or to get a piece of furniture I can shut the doors to keep it from being a focal point. I want to keep the fireplace the focal point. I was very concerned with putting the back of the couch that way but it seems this is the right way!! Once we have our basement finished (will be awhile) we will relocate TV down there and make it into a family room then it won't be an issue, but for now it is.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:48AM
Julie Dyer
@clabarre thank you so much for the photo, looks great. I was wondering if I had made a mistake with our floor plan layout :) Our kitchen is off to the back of dining room as yours. It's really nice to see a photograph of the same layout, thank you!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:50AM
clabarre
We tried almost every way to place the furniture and this one is by far the best, or at least it is for our family. We made sure to have enough space between the sofa and the end table (which is a dog crate actually) so that we did not have to walk all the way aound when walking from the kitchen to sit down. We do not have a tv in this room either. But in the end, if it works well for how you use the space, then it's a good placement, even if design "rules" dictate otherwise.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:06AM
Julie Dyer
I'd rather not have a TV there but my hubby would not be too happy LOL The flow was my main concern since he wants to go with a sectional and not a couch, eventually tho I'll put the sectional downstairs and go with a couch and chairs in this room so agreed it's not forever but I just want it to be perfect ...... It's our dream home LOL I've sat and staired at it and that is the only furniture placement option that I can see that will work as well. Thank you for your comment!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:10AM
clabarre
This is what it would look like from the other end. Again, ignore the mess, I wasn't expecting to be posting photos :-)
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:36AM
Julie Dyer
Thank you again, that is exactly the way ours will look as well once the furniture is placed in the house. I can tell by seeing your photo that will work out the best for our layout!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:42AM
Furniture placement in multipurpose, open concept room with lots of traffic
Hello. I have a fair sized multipurpose room, kitchen,...
golfisa4letterword
Furniture placement for somewhat narrow open concept space
Would like to include a sectional, but that's the only...
jyang8786
Need Help on An Open Concept Living Room & Placement of a Huge 70in TV
My husband and I recently bought a great house! But...
remodelmbd
Overwhelmed with Open Concept Living/Dining hardwood, furniture, paint
I've posted a few threads about other rooms and appreciate...
shellbell04
Furniture colors for my open concept living room
I am looking for suggestions on how to decorate my...
tdao318
New curved sofa: keep it or sell it?
I started to decorate the living room of my new house....
irenale
Need help with new small bungalow layout
Hi everyone! I just bought my first home and I bought...
kmidghall
need to design freestanding structure for power panel/recycling bins
I have the main power meter and exterior panel on a...
docwms
Help with exterior ideas
We are purchasing this home and should close on it...
Amy Brooks
Cathedral Ceiling and Heating Problem
I need some help curtailing my heating bill due to...
evelyn19335