Need Help deciding on flooring
berndog2
I have carpet in my dining room, and I am planning on putting tong and grove hardwood down this summer. The majority of the rest of the house has oak flooring (on first floor, Kitchen, Great room, Entry)
My question:
Would it be strange to have Cherry hardwood flooring (Jatoba) in the diningroom? Would this be a bad thing for resale?

FYI.. The Kitchen and dining are seperated by a pocket door and the dining room is adjacent to living room which is carpeted.
Thanks for opinions!!
Da Vinci Remodeling, LLC
A word of caution regarding cherry floors and resale: Cherry changes color with exposure to sun light. If you put a rug under your dining room table there will be a dramatic color difference between the flooring that was exposed to the sun and the flooring that was not.

At resale, a prospective buyer will need to buy your rug with the house or buy a rug the same size/larger. This may turn some potential buyers off. An experienced agent will know to lift up a corner of the rug and show them.
February 3, 2013 at 7:31AM     
berndog2
Hi, I dont have any plans of every having a carpet again. My experience with food and carpet in a diningroom speaking here. That said are there are any drawback to having different wood types/stains of wood flooring on the same floor by future buyers?
February 3, 2013 at 7:44AM   
Cancork Floor Inc.
It all depends on the overall design and flow of your space. Cherry coloured floors can be limiting with designs because of the different reds that are involved in making furniture.

If it works for you, then go for it. But remember, what suites your tastes/furniture may not work with some one else's. So I guess the answer to the "resale" question is "probably".

If this room is completely secluded from the rest of the oak floors (formal dining room with doors that can be closed) then go with the colour that makes you happy. If you are worried about resale AND the flow of the flooring is continuous, or very close to one another, the try your best to work with the same flooring materials/colours.
February 3, 2013 at 1:29PM   
Need help deciding on wood floors for entire first floor
Any specific brands people like?? Looking at real hardwood...
Need help in deciding what to do with my floors
I am moving into a new house with hardwood floors that...
I am moving into a new house with light-stained hardwood...
Need help deciding what type of flooring for upstairs in AZ home
We are not sure what type of flooring is best in AZ...
Need help deciding on cabinet and floor colors
I have stainless appliances, and colonial cream granite,...
How can I conseal a wall kitchen cabinet that's uneven on the top?
My cousin has been nice enough to help me install the...
Help identify stucco color!!!
Hi All, Do we have any stucco experts out there???...
No natural light in kitchen
Any suggestions in what kind of updates I can do to...
Painting Brick Fireplace
Can anyone give me a step by step method for painting...
Best Light Gray Trim for Exterior
Any ideas on a light gray trim color for a Spanish...