corner fireplace
shellabella
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am torn between placing the fireplace in the corner or putting on the blank wall to the left. I like how it utilizes the space, but I don't like the flow. If I move it, I am concerned I would loose a lot of space and feel cramped (But I would consider putting in a contemporary, landscape type fireplace with rocks if it were on the longer wall).
Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dalma darling
Do you have a photo for reference?
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 8:31PM
shellabella
Here is the current layout. Spry it toon so long to post. There is a great view to the city and lake where the windows are, so I want to avoid obstructing the view.
1 Like   March 21, 2013 at 7:53AM
shellabella
Sorry the last photo cut off the wall. Here is a better pic.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:06AM
PRO
Dytecture
The main issue with this room is furniture placement as space is required for circulation. Have you considered a 3 sided peninsula fireplace between the family room and eating nook ?
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:07AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
I think the corner FP is a good option. It will allow you to put your TV to the left of it. If you place your sofa with the back to the kitchen you have a view of the TV and the FP. If the are on the same wall then do you mount the TV above the FP or put it off to the side? I don't think the wall is enough for a FP and TV if the fireplace is centered on the wall.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:15AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
What about a double sided FP?
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:16AM
shellabella
I am not interested in placing a television in the room. Have not had one in 10 years. I am however, going to place a big piece of art on the wall if I go for the corner fireplace.
1 Like   March 21, 2013 at 8:18AM
shellabella
Three sided might be nice between the dining area. The only problem is that I feel it might constrict the space a little, taking away the open feel.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:21AM
shellabella
I would consider moving it to the wall with windows and doing a double sided to enjoy from the back deck also. I am just worried about obstructing the view over the lake.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:25AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
yay! No, TV...that helps. I like the corner FP personally. It leaves that wall to the left free for furniture, bookshelf...whatever you feel the room needs.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:43AM
shellabella
Great. Thank for the advice :-)
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 9:05AM
shellabella
Furniture placement seems pretty difficult with the way the design is right now. I am thinking about moving it to the left wall, but my contractor says it will take up too much space. Are there fireplaces Out there that are not as deep as the one I have currently on my plan?

I am also considering moving it between the windows to the right, but I don't want to spoil the view. If I went this route, I would like to do a double sided and also place a window above it.

What is the cost difference between one sided verses double sided?

Does anyone have ideas or knowledge on costs, function or flow with the three options I have?
I don't want to blow my budget, so cost is a major factor. The less $$ the better.
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 8:52AM