Need help with backsplash
laura494949
Hi there , I picked out cream coloured cabinets and a beige/brown marble patterned laminate countertop. Since the counter top is so busy I was wondering what would be a good idea to put for a backsplash without over powering the counter top. Thanks!
Jennifer MacNeil
I am wondering the same thing. I have white cabinets and the same laminate counters. I was thinking of a white or off white subway tile with a brownish grout. Not sure yet though.
February 5, 2013 at 10:10am   
Nancy Hehmann
I think a travertine tile which usually includes more than one shade of beige
February 5, 2013 at 10:13am     
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with Carolina Photo To Go LLC and Jennifer don't use brown grout with white subway tile (not a good look).
February 5, 2013 at 10:16am     
Jennifer MacNeil
What about a cream subway tile? Like this photo I found online. That's the color of my laminate counters.
February 5, 2013 at 10:48am     
Stoneshop
I agree with Carolina Photo To Go as well--a travertine would look beautiful with those countertops! It will be a much softer look than the porcelain subway tile. You can still get the travertine in the 3" x 6" shape if you'd like.
February 5, 2013 at 10:56am   
crsnmike
I, too, am having the same struggle. Same (almost) countertop but my cabinets match the ones to the right in the photo. Please help - need to choose a paint color based on this so we can get working! :)
February 5, 2013 at 10:57am   
Jennifer MacNeil
I just want something to brighten up the kitchen and while I love travertine I just don't have the budget for it and it's really nt what I am going for,
February 5, 2013 at 10:58am   
Stoneshop
Many companies do make porcelain tiles that look like travertine as well. Something like that would be more cost effective.

Porcelain subway tile is a great look too--you can't go wrong with it! Have you ever seen beveled subway tile? It adds a little bit more interest and dimension.
]

Also, I would re-consider using brown grout with the ivory subway tile. While it does match your countertop, it also makes the grout look dirty--think of real life Subway stops in NYC. Try looking at grout colors that match as closely to the tile color as possible. It is a much cleaner and more attractive look, in my opinion.
February 5, 2013 at 11:26am   
sms9758
Try a travertine subway tile but you can get it in porcelain to save money. What is the name of your laminate. It looks gorgeous.
February 7, 2013 at 9:18pm   
laura494949
it is at the Mattamy design center in mississauga, it is by Cartier
February 9, 2013 at 4:59am   
carolins
I'd go for a beige coloured tile, colour picked out from your countertops. Grout: lighter or same colour as tiles.

Kitchen 1
Oakley Home Builders
Symmetry Ceramic Art Tile - Ann Sacks Tile & Stone
Kitchen 2
February 9, 2013 at 5:21am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I would use an offwhite beveled subway tile with matching grout.
February 9, 2013 at 5:24am   
I agree with the advice to get matching (or just one subtle shade darker) grout if you use a light-colored subway tile. Otherwise the outlining effect can make it look too busy. We've been very happy with plain off-white glossy subway tile for a minimalist effect in our kitchen. It all depends on whether you want the counters or the backsplash to take center stage, and you've made it clear you prefer to have the counters the focus. I happen to agree.

February 9, 2013 at 5:56am   
Need Help with kitchen, I need new countertops, sink and backsplash
This is Old Victorian, and I need new countertops as...
Help! I Need help deciding layout of solid marble backsplash. Frame it
Hopefully this question is not way too confusing. I'm...
Need help deciding on a backsplash. Please help!!!!
We have moved into this home and have been doing upgrades...
Need help finding the right backsplash
I just added white cabinets and colonial white granite...
Bathroom Countertop basin Shelf
My wife and I are going for a counter top basin in...
Need help with my kids bedroom layout.
Hi all, We are building our dream house in Longlands...
Help us tone down natural oak color of cabinets by painting walls.
Our new home has very yellow looking oak cabinets in...
Cost effective soffit material?
Cost effective solutions for a soffit on a modern home?...
French limestone fireplace
Hello everyone :) I need some help about the fireplace.......