kitchen cabinets
Heather Patty
I don't like our knotty alder cabinets. Thinking of painting them but scared. Any color suggestions? Before and after photos of a similar situation would be soooo appreciated.
Amplio
Would be good to know how you fell about the rest of the interior like the back splash? Do you intend to keep that?
February 3, 2013 at 1:59PM   
Heather Patty
Yes, everything is staying.
February 3, 2013 at 2:00PM   
Cheryl Nelson
This won't help....but I love your cabinets!
February 3, 2013 at 2:07PM   
Ironwood Builders
Painting knotty wood is a real bear. A stain blocking primer and epoxy filler to make the knots look OK and prevent bleed through...and it still may bleed through (knots carry sap and the sap stains the paint, even in microscopic amounts). What about a whitewash?
February 3, 2013 at 2:13PM     
Ironwood Builders
I just hit 'browse rooms' and searched whitewashed knotty alder...check it out. I need to talk to support@houzz.com to understand how to attach a file image to my post. Sorry...I'm a house tech guy..not a houzz tech guy!
February 3, 2013 at 2:16PM   
Amplio
I think the cabinets are okay if you change the handles, I would change the counter top and the mexican sun. But this is a matter of tastes and to change the counter top is quite expensive.
I would give it a more modern touch.
February 3, 2013 at 2:17PM   
libunium
If you just hate the big knots on the frames try painting just the frames and possibly the drawer fronts. Changing the hood might also tone down the over all wood color impact . You could glue small diagonal tiles to match. Frame color was from countertop and hoo color from sun. Ignore the bad MS paint job.
February 3, 2013 at 2:55PM     
cohoek
I think if you would change the messy/busy backsplash to something plainer that you won't think the pine is wrong. Your kitchen is so busy. Maybe some other handels? There is so much going on...A one piece backsplash is easy to do ...I would stay away from beige colors though. Maybe a very light blue to tye all the colors together..
February 3, 2013 at 3:05PM   
Red Ridge Wine Cellars
You have a nice solid beginning here...what about mixing it up a bit. Can I suggest a darker yet matching stain shade for the base cabinets only and give the room some punch with a bright copper faux metal finish for the range hood. It wont be too drastic, it'll matchup together and modernize it a bit more without breaking the bank either.

All the best with your project...

Red Ridge Millwork & Design Ltd.
greg@redridgewinecellars.com http://www.redridgemillwork.com http://www.allreclaimedwoodfurniture.com
February 3, 2013 at 3:14PM   
Amplio
Just some ides and inspiration.
February 4, 2013 at 2:35AM     
Paint them! It's not just the cabinets that are throwing everything off, it's the contemporary appliances with the rustic cabinets, backsplash and dated countertops (sorry!). If you can afford it, get a range hood to match your appliances. Minus the floor, this could work for you: [houzz=
]
February 4, 2013 at 3:25AM     
mobwife
I would start with painting the cabinets, but have them professionally sprayed. You do not have to replace the hood, is it wood, if so have that painted also. If you like your counters and backsplash then keep them. They make it your kitchen. I would replace the items in the cabinet with the glass with items that bring out the colors of your kitchen. Maybe an orange pitcher and a nice blue bowl, just an example. Keep it simple and not overcrowded, others will get distracted when looking at your kitchen. If you are keeping the backsplash you may want to get new covers for your light switches and they have covers for the rockers. They really stand out but not in a complimentary way. You could also find a nicer night light.

You could also have your chairs painted. You could also have your island painted another color to coordinate with your new cabinet color and counters.. If you can't afford to have your cabinets painted do them yourself, but get advice on how to paint them. Remember that the light will change the look of your cabinets and different colors will look different when they pick up the colors of your counters and backsplash. White, black and gray are the only neutrals and they pick up the color of their missing complimentary color. For instance, if you have sort of orange, or peach and you add gray, your gray will look sort of blue.

Print off your picture and place different cabinet colors over your picture to give you some idea of what you would like and since you are painting, paint a couple of doors a different shade of the color you pick and see how they look, that could change your mind and you may have to replace your pulls. You could also paint the uppers and lowers two different colors. Perhaps paint the lowers and the island the same with the uppers different. Experiment with your pictures.

There are some places on the web that have inexpensive pulls. Just make sure that the holes line up, but if you find other pulls that you like you can fill the exisitng holes, which shouldn't be too hard to do since you are painting the cabinets. I personally do not like knotty alder cabinets, but this isn't my kitchen. good luck and send a picture when you are finished.
February 4, 2013 at 5:30AM     
loroca
I would stain the lower cabinets a dark brown or black and white wash the uppers. Get contemporary hardware to tie in with your modern appliances. Consider a new backsplash. White subway tiles are affordable and classic. If you're not too attached to the chairs, paint them the same colour as the counter. It will tie it in a little better with rest of the kitchen.
February 5, 2013 at 3:09PM   
Heather Patty
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Wanted to share the results.
March 17, 2013 at 7:25PM     
Mona Baxter
Great transformation!
March 17, 2013 at 7:37PM     
Amplio
Good, I see that the sun is gone;) It looks very clean and elegant. Best of luck
March 18, 2013 at 1:14AM   
Patricia Pelgrims
And what a result ! Hehe. You've got a whole new kitchen with a fresh and streamlined look for the price of the paint. Well done.
Now if there are still doubters whether to paint wooden kitchen cabinets or not, they should have a look here first.
March 18, 2013 at 1:51AM   
carolins
Wow! Nice result! Well done.
March 18, 2013 at 2:01AM   
Very good! Are you happy with the results?
March 18, 2013 at 3:07AM   
stained kitchen cabinets verses painted kitchen cabinets
which is better stained kitchen cabinets or painted...
What color of porcelain tile to replace our hardwood?
So we got some water in our garden level condo and...
My Very, Yellow Living Room
I need a lot of help planning furniture and accessories...
What to put above this bench
This bench is in the entrance way as well as the front...
How to update this 70s home.
We are purchasing this home. It's a story and a half....
How to cover basement stairs?
We have stairs that lead from an outside door down...