What kind of flooring for slab foundation 1200 sq. ft. garden home?
sally bjorkman
I want to put down laminate flooring and do it myself, any ideas out there, where to purchase, etc...
Cancork Floor Inc.
Depends on where you live and what you are looking for with your flooring. If you are in a cooler area of N. America, then a wood based floor would do very well. If you are in a very warm area of the continent then you can look at the floors that are considered "cold" (laminate and vinyl).

A cork floating floor is put together will all the same tools as a "laminate". Technically it is a laminate (laminate simply means "layers"). I have cork floors that start at $2.29/sf (no need for underlay...just a vapour barrier is needed). They can run through out the house...but not in bathrooms.

A "medium end" laminate will start about this range, but they need underlay. High-end laminates can run close to $4/sf...and still need underlay.

Have a look at www.icorkfloor.com for some ideas. If it's not for you, then fine. You might get an idea of what you are looking for.

Remember, a regular laminate is often LOUDER than concrete. If you have echoes that you want to get ride of, you will need HIGH END UNDERLAY! This alone can run more than $1.50/sf...just to reduce the "bang and slap" of laminates. A cork underlay will reduce this immensely. A cork floating floor has none of these issues.

Cork will keep your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter without adding to your heating bill.

A laminate will heat up in the sun and become chilly in the evening/winter. Again, underlayment is going to be the best bet to stop that...again, you are looking at adding more money to the laminate you choose.

Just some photos of our cork...we have 40+ floors that look like ANYTHING you want it to look like.

I've seen lots of people say, "The house is great but the laminate HAS to go!" but I've never heard of any potential buyers saying "The house is great but the cork is horrible."

Just an option!
February 3, 2013 at 1:19pm   
i need help with 2 things stairwell and front of house
This is a very narrow stairwell and am trying to make...
Mixing shades and blinds in same room?
The evening sun streams in the upper windows of our...
Paint color for open space rental apartment kitchen walls/cabinets?
I need to paint my dated, ugly rental kitchen. I live...
Bedrooms in a Grade II listed house
Could I please have comments/advice of placing the...