What kind of flooring for slab foundation 1200 sq. ft. garden home?
sally bjorkman
I want to put down laminate flooring and do it myself, any ideas out there, where to purchase, etc...
Cancork Floor Inc.
Depends on where you live and what you are looking for with your flooring. If you are in a cooler area of N. America, then a wood based floor would do very well. If you are in a very warm area of the continent then you can look at the floors that are considered "cold" (laminate and vinyl).

A cork floating floor is put together will all the same tools as a "laminate". Technically it is a laminate (laminate simply means "layers"). I have cork floors that start at $2.29/sf (no need for underlay...just a vapour barrier is needed). They can run through out the house...but not in bathrooms.

A "medium end" laminate will start about this range, but they need underlay. High-end laminates can run close to $4/sf...and still need underlay.

Have a look at www.icorkfloor.com for some ideas. If it's not for you, then fine. You might get an idea of what you are looking for.

Remember, a regular laminate is often LOUDER than concrete. If you have echoes that you want to get ride of, you will need HIGH END UNDERLAY! This alone can run more than $1.50/sf...just to reduce the "bang and slap" of laminates. A cork underlay will reduce this immensely. A cork floating floor has none of these issues.

Cork will keep your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter without adding to your heating bill.

A laminate will heat up in the sun and become chilly in the evening/winter. Again, underlayment is going to be the best bet to stop that...again, you are looking at adding more money to the laminate you choose.

Just some photos of our cork...we have 40+ floors that look like ANYTHING you want it to look like.

I've seen lots of people say, "The house is great but the laminate HAS to go!" but I've never heard of any potential buyers saying "The house is great but the cork is horrible."

Just an option!
February 3, 2013 at 1:19pm   
Fitted furniture is suddenly popular!
We have found in recent weeks that more and more customers...
Bad staircase design...please help!
We are not around to monitor our new build, and ended...
open floor plan kinda
So we are about to move into our first home. idk where...
Need kitchen cabinet help for a tiny kitchen
I am purchasing a small cottage with a tiny kitchen....
Counter top selection help, please and thanks!!
Here's the story - planning a new build. Looking to...