Help exterior color for my home
creativeoriginal
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
changing the roof and shingles. I have a red brick pathway leading up to the house. I was thinking of a black roof, but don't know what color I like for the body of the house or the shutters and the front door
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mmilos
Roof color is very important and should be chosen first before you choose your siding color. Choose brown roof if you like warmer colors for your new siding like tans and creams. Choose a dark gray if you like cooler colors like grays and blues.
February 3, 2013 at 11:07am   
tietz05
Beautiful colonial style house! How about a charcoal grey siding with a black or cooler colored shingle? Keeping the trim/shutters white is classic and timeless. Please don't go beige! It's everywhere and boring! If you went with grey siding, you could literally have your door painted any color you choose. It would also match your red brick pathway, again a timeless color. Can't wait to see an after picture!
February 3, 2013 at 11:23am   
creativeoriginal
My neighbor has a black roof with grey siding and red front door, don't want to copy. I was thinking of either black or barkwood (GAF timberline roofing) green for the siding and possibly black shutters. Still thinking of the front door color. Any comments on color my color scheme?
February 3, 2013 at 11:31am   
PRO
The Griffin Group Keller Williams Houston Realtors
See attached picture for siding colors, and I would paint the front door white and repaint the garage doors white. Again, the first comment about the roof color. I would go for a new lighter brown shade in the roof.
February 3, 2013 at 11:36am     
creativeoriginal
the attached photo didn't show any color
February 3, 2013 at 11:43am   
PRO
You can't see the photo?
February 3, 2013 at 12:59pm   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Gray will stand up to the elements for a longer period than any other color range. The photo Becky sent is a good example. If you elect to go with a brown roof you can still go with Taupe or Gray with a green/olive undertone. White or Oyster trim adds sharpness to the composition which is always appealing from the curb. If you do any landscaping in the future I'd thnk about adding a tree (Red Maple) for mass on the left side of your property to balance the garage. The tree can be brought out further from the house to give the front yard depth and shadow. Also, your front door could be painted in a color that pops a little. Even a deep charcoal will strengthen the entry.
February 3, 2013 at 1:09pm     
PRO
I agree even a nice deep honey colored wooden door would look nice, with the honey colored wooden garage doors.
February 3, 2013 at 1:13pm   
creativeoriginal
We had a red maple tree with black eyed susan surrounding the tree, but hurricane Sandy pulled the tree out from the roots and damaged the black eyed susans. We plan to replace the tree in the spring.
So, if I read all you comments correctly, I should go with black roof, charcoal grey siding white trim, shutters and front door and garage doors? I did see the photo, didn't realize it was two tones of grey siding. Thanks for the photo
February 3, 2013 at 3:55pm     
quiltlady50
I like all those ideas, but I would paint the front door another color.....not white!! How about a deep yellow? Think school bus yellow. Or purple! Either would give a pop of color to a traditional looking color scheme of gray/white/black.
February 4, 2013 at 7:43am   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
FYI. Your home wants to be stately and reserved. Thanks to the tall columns and Colonial pediment over the door the house projects a certain formality. I think that the colors should be classic. Picking up the Red from your brick will work well for the door on a background of Grays and White and black.
February 4, 2013 at 8:38am     
creativeoriginal
Thank you everyone. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!!
February 4, 2013 at 5:27pm