Need help for shades/covering kitchen sliding doors
beverett1
I am updating my 1980's kitchen. My dilemma are my doors. My kitchen has sliding glass doors with a great view. It faces the west and needs some type of covering to control the sun/heat, especially in the summer. It is visible from my front entrance, so it needs to be attractive. Currently I have plastic vertical blinds which can control light without bulk and don't collect kitchen odors. Needless to say, they are not attractive. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!
mobwife
i would add like the grass blinds, one on each door so you can roll them up when you want it open and close them when the sun comes in. You could also add those grass blinds on your kitchen window to be more consistent and make them look like they belong and that they weren't an after thought. Are those new chairs? They look very big and the island or table looks very big. I would have added a bar height table with chairs that slide in when not in use.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:01PM
tudor18902
I have a similar issue, but how do you put roll up blinds on sliding doors; one slides in front of the other and there's no room for a roll up blind.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:06PM
libunium
sliding window panels with roman shade to match. They can be solid if you wish. I have a set that JCP no longer carries. Pic is one I found on Google images.
3 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:21PM
mobwife
Roll up blinds go on the wall above the windows, not on the door. thanks,
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 3:24PM
oneofeleven
I have a sun room with windows on two sides and patio sliders on the other wall. We have a lake view and face south and west so it does get very hot in the summer. We put up sun blinds, which block the light but retain the view. We got them at Blinds to Go, they come in several colours and can either be pulled down like a rollup blind or operated with cords like a vertical. They are not expensive and look good. You could add a valance or something of that nature if you feel they need a bit of dressing up
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 5:29PM
beverett1
What great suggestions! I am going to research these ideas!
Mobwife--the chairs are not new. I am trying to decide about replacing the current island. The current one is a base cabinet with a top that measures 52"X36". My small kitchen is 142" wide wall to wall, so it is a little tight. I have french doors on my frig to help with the tight space. I am thinking of walnut colored shaker cabinets with stainless appliances and using a stainless table on wheels for my island. My husband thinks a stainless table might look too cold. (My current island is on hidden wheels so that I can move it as needed and I like this flexibility. This allows me to put a rug on my hardwood floors under the island.) If I go with the table that is basically at bar height, I want to have bar stools that will slide under the table to give me more space. Any thoughts on this or other suggestions? I do appreciate your ideas! They help me think "outside of the box"!
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 6:52AM
Rustica Hardware
Some have used rolling barn doors for a covering on their windows. This may be a good idea for you depending on if you have enough space to roll them away from the window when you want it open. You can hang just about anything that is under 300 lbs. See:
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:43AM
corrypaw
Country Curtains has a very nice bamboo panel that might work:
http://www.countrycurtains.com/product/010150685+banded+bamboo+panel.do?code=WG020325&kwid=
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:49AM
beverett1
Unfortunately, I do not have space for the rolling barn doors. The bamboo panels are unique!
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 5:52PM
miniappleman
Any thoughts of replacing the sliding doors? You might be able to refit with the double-pane glass with blinds built into the doors themselves. No kitchen odors or splatters, and these type of doors usually have attractive blind options, but most likely pull up/down style.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 6:16PM
Blind Faith LLC
Here's a picture of a roller shade mounted over a sliding glass door. As you can see, when it's up, it is completely out of the way. These shades come in a variety of colors & fabrics.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 7:13PM
museummatt
Ikea has some neat sliding panels that work on a track system. Panels come in a wide variety of colors and opacities.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 7:24PM
Need advice about bamboo shades for sliding door in kitchen
I would like to install bamboo shades over a sliding...
ritalu
Need help for sliding door shades.
Would love top down - bottom up cordless shades. Are...
heldin68
Need help with sliding door window covering
My family room doesn't get a lot of sun during the...
diamcomm
Need help with covering sliding door.
Hi I have lots of dilemas but this is driving me crazy….What...
roktta
Need help with decor of this family room!
We are changing the floor to a darker wood. Any ideas...
paawani
Help! Kitchen Layout ... New build
Hi! We are building a new home and are not sold on...
Brenna Pearce
$10,000 budget to change paint/floor.
Want neutrals on walls of living, dining, family room,...
beeb13
Where to hang kitchen hand towel
In my new kitchen, the stove is on the other side of...
Jessica Habicht
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats