reinventing living room
Patricia Crews
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am changing a very formal living room into a more relaxed space where the entire family can play games, watch tv, entertain. My family consists of my adult daughter,my son and his 2 sons aged 6 and 8. My grandson said he wanted the living room to be blue. I have a white mantle above the fireplace and have seen rooms painted light blue--- maybe tiffany blue. Should I paint above the fireplace blue only and then in the dining room or go all out blue. I just know the wrong color will be disastrous. I also have 2 wing back chairs that need recovering. Should I just buy more modern chairs and forget about the wing backs. Money is a great concern. Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Susan Janvrin
You are right, the wrong color is disastrous; blue is very tricky because it can feel very much like a little boy's bedroom color (probably why your grandson likes it so much!). I strongly suggest you invest in a sample can of the color you like until you find the right shade. You may keep going back for 10 or more little samples, but trust me, at $2.50 per can, it is a small price to pay! I did the same for my living room and I am so glad I did. I love the final color, and will for many years, but it took me many tries. The type of lighting, the amount of natural light, the color of the floors and adjacent rooms all affect how the blue looks.
February 3, 2013 at 5:15PM   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Susan Janvrin
The other idea is to do light gray on the walls, and blue/gray pattern on the window treatments, blue accent throw pillows, and a blue accent on the mantle. This way, you could bring in a few shades of blue.
February 3, 2013 at 5:18PM