Raising the Ceiling

Terri ThompsonFebruary 3, 2013
How much of a problem was it to raise the ceiling? My house was partially remodeled where the original back wall of the house was opened up to the rear porch addition. The porch ceiling is 7ft and the main house ceiling is 10ft. We had to level the floor joists with blocks on the porch due to rot and termite damage. But, that is temporary because the termite damage is extensive and the whole addition needs to be replaced. So would like to raise the roof also. How much height did you gain and how many feet was needed on the exterior? Thanks
our kitchen · More Info
Robert Mace
I should have said "Tore off the back of the house and rebuilt it." Raising the ceiling in the kitchen was a goal. The initial plan was to keep as much of the back as possible; however, once the contractor tore in, it became clear the back of the house was an amalgam of six or seven additions (no joke) that appeared to have been built by "drunk sailors". That plan was scrapped for a total rebuild.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 5:35AM
Terri Thompson
Thank you for your reply. This farmhouse is 1920's or earlier and was partially remodeled. The parlor room still has plaster and 8 layers of old wallpaper. I'm in Kentucky. I have at least 6 additions and 5 roofs. They added on in the corner of the house off a concrete slab porch to put in a bathroom in the 50's (left side of house) then on the right side corner is another full room (the former kitchen). I'm making the kitchen in the porch (in between those two add-ons) like you have done. There are twelve 6-pane windows from at least the 50's that need to come out. With the termite damage and bad windows, there is no question for a total rebuild. When I removed the steel bathtub, there was nothing holding the floor and wall together. I do not have any modern heating, not even electric baseboard. I heat with a woodstove and had to access the parlor chimney install it. Three chimneys were used all this time. I don't have alot of exterior space below the roof to raise the porch because of the house design, so my question to you was how far up did they have to go to give you what was needed. If you didn't have house design issues outside, then I guess they could do what they wanted. I may have to opt for a railroad station look on the inside.
    Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 10:37AM
Robert Mace
Similar story with our house: a number of additions with the kitchen located in the former back porches (there were four to five porch additions in the back of the house. The main part of our house was very simple: one volume with a simple pitched roof up on top. Ceiling height in the main part of the house was 11 feet. The original kitchen ceiling height was much lower: a claustrophobic 7 to 7.5 feet with 3.5 inches of uninsulated space between the ceiling and the roof. Because the main part of the house was so tall, it was no problem to lift the ceiling height up to 10 feet and then "hip" the roof into the existing roof.

If we had stuck with the "raise the roof" plan, we would have removed the roof and then raised it a couple feet.

When we first bought our house, we had a single gas space heater in the dining room. We have fond memories of seeing our breathe as we went to bed at night!

Not sure that the photo below shows what we did, but here it is:
1 Like    Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 5:05PM
Terri Thompson
Ok, so you moved the kitchen into the main house and that is what the main photo shows. I'm going in reverse, kinda. Before the house was remodeled the back porch was used as a kitchen, but the ceiling is still 7ft and it slopes like the rafters (no insulation???) and has fiberboard walls. (Everything in photo will be torn down). I may keep the flooring because it's been covered up by old lineoleum for 50 years and still in great shape underneath. The old folks drew water into the house with a handpump. The brick water cistern is still next to the foundation (8ft deep and 10ft circular cone), it collected rainwater from the gutters. The prior owners started building a new kitchen but with the bathroom in the corner of the house only being 8x8 and not working at all, we decided to make the newer kitchen into a bathroom and the 8x8 space a laundry. The side porch with the concrete floor will be a sunroom. So you must be using your new porch for a sunroom to the garden. I have 2 acres, a horsebarn and a upgraded 2 bay garage in the back field.
    Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 6:13PM
Robert Mace
Sounds nice! We were on a tiny inner city lot. Yes, we put on a new back porch:
4 Likes    Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 7:04PM
Terri Thompson
Nice porch! You mentioned layering paint on the floor. I have another Civil War Era home in the north, the staircase came already distressed when I tried to refinish them and found 5 layers of different colors under dark brown. I left them that way for now and my family thought I was crazy. I doubt I can get all the paint off the steps to apply Minwax. The stair casing went well but the steps are dinged up and the paint sits lower.
    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 1:37PM
should we raise the ceilings?
We are creating an open floor plan but some of the...
jray1985
Examples of raising 8' ceilings?
Does anyone have projects involving raising the ceiling...
vbenner
Need help with space above raised ceiling great room
We are working on floor plans to build a house. It...
yiningfeng
raising the ceiling in a split level
We are considering buying a split level house with...
emygold
Mohawk Engineered Wood Floors...
Does anyone have any experience with Mohawk engineered...
mark617
Need help with paint color!
We will be moving into a home with cherry cabinets/bookcases...
Joyce Martin
How to save this mistake?
So the hubby wanted to help me like the curtains by...
janmarie14
If Only I could blow this master bath up and start over. Help!
Wow, do I need help. Our house is going on the market...
sandnsyntax
Sponsored Products
Marea Ceiling Fan
Lightology
Sonneman | Chelsea 8-Light Pendant Light
YLighting
Serena Chandelier by Currey & Company
$2,320.00 | Lumens
Neo-Industrial Satin Nickel Three-Light Island Pendant with Clear Crosscut Glass
$299.90 | Bellacor
Annelise 12-Light Foyer Chandelier
PLFixtures
Casual Luxury Brushed Steel Four-Light Drum Pendant
$364.50 | Bellacor