Need help for the floor color
huihui_hwang
I'd like to do hardwood flooring for my home. Our house has an open space design for the kitchen and family room. Attached is the model home picture. I have the same cabinet color (maple, not as golden as in the misleading picture though). And I've chosen dark backsplash and counter top. My wall is off-white. To be conservative, I can choose medium-to-light brown flat maple floor. But I want to make home look as spacious as possible. I might have to give up birch or maple natural as my husband does not like that light color. I'm having a dilemma in choosing the floor color now.Would appreciate any ideas very much! By the way, my style is traditional and casual.

Thank you very much in advance!
FSI Design
you may want to consider a Hickory Natural, it will still be light, but will have more color variation and character. This also makes it a very family friendly choice, and it is still a great traditional look.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 12:12AM
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
I always recommend for items in your home that you will have to live with for a long time, if not forever, that you choose something in the middle. ie, Dark wood floors have beenin for a while, they will eventually go out of style like terrazo tile and light oak floors. Choose something mid range that you can always be happy with and will go with anything in the future. Some of the Carbonized Bamboo floors are beautiful as they are extremely tough.I have been told they are twice as strong as oak, a very hard wood. And they are treated in a way that many look just like any other wood. You would not know it is bamboo. Have used it in very traditional homes.

Mary
1 Like    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 12:45AM
huihui_hwang
Thanks so much for both your comments! Well I'm afraid I did not make myself clear. Or maybe I actually made myself misunderstood. :-) When I said "traditional", I was thinking of traditional cabinetry. I also like coastal or nautica living style. Actually I'm not a fan for hichory or bamboo floor. I'm more a maple person. I like uniformity only with some variation in shade. Mirage Maple Sonora or something similar is an example that we like a lot. My concern is brownish color might make the room look smaller. And I have an impression that floor color lighter than the cabinets might create a more cheerful look. I do not like the graining in traditional oak floor. But sometimes white oak creates light shade and looks neutral to me. And the graining is not as strong as traditional oak. I kinda like Garrison collection II grey white wash (see attached). But I'm afraid it's not safe (or wrong!) to choose the cold color that might not go with my existing cabinetry and dark brown backsplash, etc. I'm actually looking for something darker than birch or light brown with little variation or fine texture to create a fresh, cheerful and casual look.
    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 11:36AM
Need help on wood floor color choice
My home has large beige ceramic tile foyer. On right...
Sue Whatwhat
Need help selecting hardwood floor -- color
Help! Ready to start putting together kitchen after...
mbmama
Need help with staircase & floor colors
I have very light colored laminate flooring downstairs...
bumbeda1
Need help selecting concrete floor color/design for basement
I have a 1955 mid century modern type split-level house....
janetp1977
Need help selecting hardwood floor color/finish
Have red/orange woodwork on windows, doors, stairs,...
kamcc12
a need for an inspiration for the home decor
I would love to change the color of our home, rearrange...
Sebastian Gloria Forjan
Remodeling my kitchen
Hi! I'm getting a 60 inch self standing Viking Range....
azzief
need wall color please help
I dont have the red carpet any more, I have this
egonzalez30
Help with dressing up the mantle
Please advise on how to make my mantle look nice. ...
jjkyung
color dilemma
I just want to know what 2 colors complement dark red...
Erica Fennelly