Help me!
judet6
For the second time, a decorator has essentially fired me as a client because I wanted references from
clients who had jobs similar
to mine-all the houzz reviews were from clients in
the 1-10K range and I was looking to spend 3 times that so was looking for references from clients more in my project level. Apparently, a big no-no
in the design world or at least to this particular designer. I am so upset and
frustrated. Apparently, one must need to be an empty headed housewife who cares nothing about the process but just wants to spend lots of hubby's money with no questions asked. I fall into none of those categories,so what do I do now. This is a bit of a rant/vent but I am clearly
a stranger to the rarefied world of interior design. Help me please!
JMittman Designs
There is no reason for a designer to fire you for asking for references with projects in your budget range. My guess is the designer HAD no references in your budget and did not want to tell you this. I am sorry you are having a difficult time. There are MANY qualified designers out there, you've just not met your match yet.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 7:53AM
How foolish is that? When I go to see a new clients, I ask them to call others with whom I have worked. Once we are on board, they also are welcome to see my home.

I would guess, as JMD said, that she either had no one for you to call or she was afraid you would :>). Keep looking.

Have you looked here on houzz for designers in your area? If there are none, ask houzzers who live in your area. Nothing like word of mouth.

If you lived in the Boston area, I could name at least two who are outstanding professionals (with great personalities).
   February 4, 2013 at 8:02AM
judet6
Thank you. If I could do it
myself, I would. This has been
going on since October( interviewing designers, that is. I work full time, had no idea this was going to be that hard!
   February 4, 2013 at 8:06AM
judet6
Judyg, I do live in the Boston area
and got my second round of possible decorators right off houzz . I must go workout, have
SO much frustration inside me!
   February 4, 2013 at 8:09AM
JMittman Designs
Can you start with a small project first? You seem to be overwhelmed, so maybe it would be easier to do your projects in phases. What part of the country are you in?
   February 4, 2013 at 8:09AM
judet6
I am outside Boston, know what I
want to do, what colors I want to
use, all I need is spatial knowledge and design skills( paint
color selection, furniture placement, etc). I want to get moving on this. Is this always so
hard?
   February 4, 2013 at 8:15AM
JMittman Designs
I know a couple people in that area you might consider. If you want their names, email me.--email me at jmdesigns@wideopenwest.com
   February 4, 2013 at 10:12AM
judet6
Turns out I was not organized well enough for her and did not have a piece of art or a pillow for inspiration. Looks like I may need an organizer before I need a decorator. This is why people shut down and don't get decorators/designers. I'm close to my threshold of frustration right now!
   February 4, 2013 at 12:48PM
Interiors International, Inc.
I am here if you need a good designer. Feel free to contact me I guarantee you will not be fired. You will be treated with respect and appreciation for choosing me to help you create your home.
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 5:34PM
JMittman Designs
Judy, I emailed you the contact I have in Boston. Good luck!
   February 4, 2013 at 6:01PM
Help with Curb Appeal!
The siding is not changing (seen on 2nd level). What...
need help with my studio space.
My studio space is 750 sq ft,, high ceilings. The kitchen...
Is this the perfect color?
How do you guy feel about white ceilings with white...
Our new firepit
Looking for a ring for my firepit, it needs to be at...
Design Ideas for Family room
Hi, we just bought a house and I need design ideas...