Happy MessApril 18, 2011
Any ideas on how to combine modern design with a casual/eclectic aesthetic?
I am renting a home for a few years and the design of the town home is a beautiful European renovation. I have attached a pic as an example. Any ideas on how to combine modern design with a casual/eclectic aesthetic like mine? I feel a bit stuck!
Amy
It looks like you need to soften it up with colorful art, rugs, fabrics, and plants. There's no rule that says you can't mix styles, i.e., antique with modern. Just use what you love.
    Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 10:47AM
Happy Mess
It definitely needs to be softened. I want to pick a few accent colors to thread throughout the house without it looking too one note. I like the idea right now of grays, greens, taupe... Do you think I could add a bit of orange or blue? I thought red might be too much like Christmas.
    Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 11:00AM
kimbersays
I love the space although the grey is a little cool. I think orange and a very strong yellow would look lovely and cheerful. The design is neutral enough to play with. Enjoy it!
    Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 4:07PM
Amy
To go with the grey/green/taupe theme, I would add natural elements like sisal, light wood furniture, and some of those great butterfly pillows from pottery barn. I would save the pops of color for artwork on the walls. Try allposters.com for some affordable art.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 7:02AM
Happy Mess
I definitely want to add natural elements. I love sisal. Have you seen some of the bedding at West Elm? I really like some of the strong prints and colors (yellows) that they have right now. I will check out the suggestions. Thank you for the feedback!
    Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 7:30AM
Happy Mess
What do you think of this Shower curtain from West Elm? It feels like floating art to me and could be striking in the bathroom. Thoughts?
    Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 8:33AM
Amy
Love it. Urban Outfitters has some awesome bedding too.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 9:24AM
inkwitch
Very Euro. Definitely rugs - I could see a long red Oriental runner in the kitchen. This color scheme and geometric control cries out for at least one outrageous piece of furniture in a color you love. Lemon sofa? A deep red wingback with a leather sofa? Morrocan poof cushions? White lacquered victorian coffee table? Big wooden bowl with fruit on that island. Unless you love green above all, I would tend toward warmer colors: rust, terracotta, brick, ochre, umber, saffron -- think of color as having character, vibration, mood.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 7:47PM
Six Walls Interior Design
In the kitchen adding an artful rug with color would bring life & an element of casualness to the space. (i'm suggesting something still somewhat modern, but more playful & different as opposed to traditional. In addition, swapping out the pendants over the island to something more colorful would be charming. If you wanted to add a third layer of interest, you could always add one funky painted cabinet running horizontally between the two shelves to the wall (giving the refrigerator something else tall to relate to in the space. This would not only add visual interest & character, it would give you some much needed upper storage! You could do some fun glass in the cabinet, or wire, or fabric, in lieu of just a painted wood face. It could also be something reclaimed/salvaged from another home's "don't love anymore" rennovation? I have attached images that illustrate what I'm suggesting. For more help, you can contact me directly @ dawn@six-walls.com
    Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 7:01AM
Six Walls Interior Design
On second thought, the cabinet wouldn't really work above the stove area, but it could go to the left of the window on the opposite wall. (of course you'd have to run this idea by your landlord, because I just reread that you are renting. Same with the pendant swap. It would definitely add some personality to the space, and the existing lights could always be re-installed prior to your departure, and you'd have some super cool lights to use in your new place, or a place you might own in the future.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 7:05AM
Fitting in all the appliances that a client wants while...
Elmwood Fine Custom Cabinetry
Bay Point Dr. Colonial - We used Benjamin Moore historical...
West Coast Paint, LLC
THE EXPERTS HAVE SPOKEN In recent months, wine and...
IntoConcrete
Pillow
Where can I buy this pillow? What's the brand and size?...
decorstuff12
What can I do with this wall?
Looking for decor ideas for the wall ? Accent wall...
Katie Kraayenbrink
Kitchen blue? Is it too much?
This blue I chose when the kitchen was enclosed by...
Josie Bohling
Need help with an extremely small FULL guest bathroom.
We are new renters to a traditional home. As renters...
rutabaga4
Help With Paint Color for Dining Room
I'm lost on what color to paint the dining room. It...
hayeshearns
Follow Along with my DIY Kitchen Remodel
I have hired Inspired Kitchen Designs to design my...
Terri
Sponsored Products
Shun Premier Ultimate Utility Knife
$159.95 | FRONTGATE
Lid & Plate Organizer - Set of Two
$11.99 | zulily
12x15 Oversize Handmade 250 kpsi Oriental Rug Wool and Silk Tabriz Mahi Sh19793
1800 Get A Rug
DENY Designs Randi Antonsen City Fleece Throw Blanket - 13551-FLELAR
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Monarch Specialties 8093 Swivel Accent Chair in Circular Earth Tone Fabric
Beyond Stores
Paisley Prism Duchess Filler Valance
Overstock.com