Need help with home exterior
lclay
Hiya Houzzers! I've been looking at pictures for a while, but this is my first time to post. My husband and I are in the process of renovating a house near downtown Austin, Texas.

We have already made several changes to the exterior (windows, porch, roof...) but we're not sure about paint colors.

We've tossed around painting the brick, but are super nervous about it. The neighborhood we live in has a lot of really cool and funky houses and we want to add to that vibe.

Can you help us? Should we paint the brick or keep it? Paint color suggestions welcome and requested!

Thanks y'all and keep Austin weird!

Oh and please excuse our mess. We are still in the middle of the reno! One other thing. We have full landscape drawings with big plans for the front yard, that include a new retaining wall. And the garage door will be swapped for a more modern looking one soon. So do your best to look past those things to help with the paint!
lclay
I forgot to mention we're going for a modern industrial farmhouse feel.
February 4, 2013 at 7:02PM   
James Buckley
Before doing anything to the brick which is almost irreversible, I would focus on the white horizontal siding, shutters, and trim first. For the siding, I would go with a sage green or, if heat is not an issue, a deep red since your brick is a light color.
If you are leaving the shutters off - fine; if you're planning to put them back I would paint them a bold color (test with pieces of painted cardboard cut to size of shutter first).
One other suggestion: since your standing seam roof has distinct lines running vertically from ridge to eaves, I would build up the emphasis of your porch columns. I would wrap your porch columns to give them some girth and make a statement. One other crazy idea would be to locate some debarked tree trunks and use those as posts. They would add an organic edge/surface to a very geometric facade.
Draw more attention to your front entry door tucked in the corner with a designer lamp: hanging or wall sconce.
February 4, 2013 at 7:29PM     
Archstudio
Modern industrial brings to mind dark metal accents with smooth finish sliding barn doors.
February 4, 2013 at 9:15PM   
Need help with EXTERIOR Colonial Home needs Help!
Hi, I am trying to come with a plan for my colonial...
need help choosing paint for exterior brick home
Recently purchased a 40+ year old home that has ugly...
Need help with exterior update for a 1959 home
1959 brick house with a front bedroom that projects...
Need help with my family home exterior and landscaping ideas
I am planning on doing some exterior repainting (façade),...
Need Help Redesigning an Exterior of a Small Home!
We are purchasing a tiny home in an old village and...
Cinnamon Cabinets - what color wood floors?
So my wife is designing our new kitchen and we are...
is this kitchen out of style?
I keep debating, is the wood color out of date for...
Most hideous gift you've received for your house?
Friends and family always have the best intentions,...
Accent Table Decor
Any inspiring pictures or ideas you can provide of...
Average cost of a design
Hi I really need to redo my backyard. The covered porch...