Help with the kitchen
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are removing the drop ceilings and plan to paint the wood paneling. Can't afford a kitchen redo and the old cabinets and formica counter don't bother us. Should we also paint the cabinets? Would a tin ceiling look cool or totally ridiculous with the existing kitchen? The kitchen is 12X24 feet.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
simplify52
I agree to remove the drop ceiling to modernize your kitchen. I have a question though. What will you do with the soffit above the cabinets? I believe that needs to come out. I believe I would paint the cabinets but have the doors painted by a professional to insure the paint stays on the doors and to eliminate brush strokes. I'm sure you will be getting a new window treatment also as well as some new cabinet handles and knobs. I love tin ceilings but I'd have to see the ceiling after the old ceiling is removed to visualize the tin ceiling.
February 5, 2013 at 10:02am   
PRO
Frances Temple-West Architect
Do you know why there is a drop ceiling there in the first place? Is there equipment above it? Or is it covering up an original damaged ceiling? Check that out first. You have some kind of soffits built above your cabinets. How high up do these go? If you take down the ceiling, you may have a weird incomplete condition with the soffits. It looks as if they can come out as well - which would be a good thing. I would paint everything one light color (eggshell finish) and install inexpensive new cabinet pulls. And lose the ceiling fan. Get a great surface-mount fixture. Consider the overall style of your house before you go with a tin ceiling. If you do want to go for it, you can get stick-on tiles that can be painted. Hope this helps!
February 5, 2013 at 10:14am   
Hi, thank you! This is an old and funky New Orleans house from the 1930s. I think in the 1980s people thought drop ceilings were energy efficient. Luckily the kitchen is the only room that has them. Maybe I'll post additional pictures later. we removed the drop tiles and the ceiling is peeling paint and exposed wiring. taking down the ceiling will give us another 18-24 inches. We may rebuild the soffits or replace with an open shelf above the cabinets. Thank you both for your input!
February 6, 2013 at 8:01am