Paint for the bedroom or accents?
Crystal Kash
Please help! We just bought a new house and need some suggestions.
Barbara Griffith Designs
Do you have any other furniture in this room, we can only see 2 walls? The room needs color, pattern, and boldness. You also seem to have maybe 9' ceilings and you need height on everything. Could me see a picture of the window? The room looks small, is that true, I am seeing a wall edge corner on the left in the bed picture. It looks tight there. I would look at using a plain bedframe on your bed (remove the head & foot board)..then add a "headboard" that you attach to the wall. It should be much taller. I have used pieces of various lattice, painted black and hung high on the wall. Or build a frame the width of the bed and 7' tall, then cover it with foam from a fabric store, next choose a fabric, not a colorful pattern, textured neutral fabric, and pull it tight and staple on the back side. But a trim piece around the outside edges and you can add some buttons for tufted look. Lots of how to online. Taller, lamps on the night stand, simple drapery panels hung high and off window, add a rug with colors & pattern you like. Bedding choice to compliment. Large art on the walls.
February 5, 2013 at 2:20pm     
Alderwood Interior Design Inc.
Firstly, centre the bed and tables on the wall. You could leave the paint as is but paint a panel slightly wider than the bed, from baseboard to ceiling, in a vibrant accent colour, maybe a deep red or a bright green. Or you could cover the same area in an exciting, large print wallpaper. Neither one of these ideas is a big investment and will add some pop! Buy some linens that contain a hint of the accent colour to tie it all in and add slightly taller lamps on either side. Good luck!
February 5, 2013 at 5:05pm   
Hummingbird Designs
I love your bed , you must bring your picture down it is to high. Add a punch of colour through out the room
February 5, 2013 at 5:14pm   
pookdesign
Firstly, congratulations on your new home. I see a number of comments with great ideas. I see you have beige walls and a beige carpet, and furniture with all the same wood finish...a safe bet, but as an interior designer, I would opt for a bit more contrast and interest in the finishes and textures. Depending on your locale, you may want to paint the walls a sage green or a cool, dusty blue. Switching out the headboard and footboard for an upholstered headboard (an easy DIY weekend project) covered in a textured linen will open up the bed ( currently closed in by the head and foot). A wall color will allow the artwork you currently have to pop. Items like accent pillows and bed linens can always be switched out allowing for seasonal changes. If space allows, an upholstered chair or chaise longue will add interest as well. All the best.
February 6, 2013 at 6:45am   
aerobix
Congrats on the new home. If you are looking to save money, an easy fix would be to add european shams and pillows in a contrasting color - peach or aqua would both go well in your existing room. Add lots of throw pillows along with your beige ones and a coverlet in whatever contrast you choose for the bottom of the bed to make it more "today." Move the television from the dresser - it looks thoughtless, and move it to hang on the wall opposite the bed, if you don't have windows preventing your doing so. If you do, hang it above the dresser and place a small wall shelf above the television to put the dvd player and tuner. I would also move the bed a little to the right. Short of spending a lot of money, you can do these changes relatively inexpensively. Look on Amazon for some attractive bedding and pillows that can be done inexpensively.
February 6, 2013 at 8:40am     
aerobix
Two more things, you might want to move the picture lower as the other reviewer mentioned and frame it, so that it looks larger. It is a little small for the area. Replace the lamps with large gourd shaped in the aqua or peach or contrasting color you bring it. It will tie everything together.
February 6, 2013 at 8:46am     
Interiors International, Inc.
The bed wall needs color.
February 6, 2013 at 9:00am     
All said above is good advice. Just use the rule of thumb for hanging things on the wall; if they hang alone, make sure the center of the piece is at 60" above the floor. If they hang with furniture they can be from 4 - 10" above the piece, depending on factors like visual weight of the piece and its frame. Over furniture, they look best if no wider than 75% of the width of the furniture, shelf or mantel below them. That should help you throughout your new homw..
February 6, 2013 at 9:07am     
Accent Wall Paint Colours for Guest Bedrooms
We'd like to add some colour to our 2 guest bedrooms....
Need help with master bedroom paint color and accents
I just bought this comforter and not sure which color...
Need painting and accenting advice for a bedroom
Hi All, I've finally refinished my bedroom set using...
Accent color suggestions for bedroom? And two accent chairs?
We are moving into a new place next month. Please help...
Need help choosing between two counter stools
We are putting in a large island with lots of seating....
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Refinishing wood floors -keep carpet in the bedrooms?
We're helping our daughter buy her first home -a modest...
Need Master Bath Layout Help
We recently added a large addition onto an older farm...
What are your ideas on building out the cold storage room?
We are in need of a few ideas and photos for building...