Removal of woodburning stove and design new fireplace
janmariearts
I have just purchased a home that is about 30 years old. I plan to remove the wood burning stove in the family room and replace it with a fireplace.

I would appreciate any suggestion to improve this room.
The present furniture and decor will also be replaced. The home is in CA.
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I would look at that whole wall where you are doing the fireplace and consider how you could integrate the entertainment system into a wall of storage.
February 5, 2013 at 11:31am     
janmariearts
Thank you.

The entertainment system belongs to the previous owner, and I hope to remove it. However, there is a small window above the entertainment system, that is one of the light sources, in addition to the sliding glass door on the right.
I imagine the storage on the right of the stove could also be removed when the stove is removed, leaving a less cluttered wall space.
February 5, 2013 at 11:59am   
I agree with cleaning the visual clutter in the room and make it more streamlined.

February 5, 2013 at 12:22pm     
HI -- Good idea but .... what kind of fireplace - wood burning - gas ??? If you are going for a woodburning , then take the doors off the right side cabinet and hollow it out so it's open all the full height and then get it lined with galvinized metal and stack the firewood in there . Very stylish vertical wood storage. Are you also staying with the country style I see you have now or are you heading to a little more modern ? Go around to some fireplace stores to see what's available for your taste and to see what is the best way to go with the venting /pipes etc.that you have now or will you have to get it all upgraded. Look on this site -Houzz has lots of ideas if you search . Good Luck !
February 5, 2013 at 12:32pm   
janmariearts
Thank you.

I plan to have a gas fireplace and minimize the country look as much as possible.The furniture and decor belong to the previous owner.
February 5, 2013 at 12:53pm   
Woodburning Stove
Who makes the woodburning stove - it's gorgeous!
Is the stove woodburning and where is it from?
Need a cool stove like this to warm up a cold space....
Woodburning stove?
Can you provide the manufacturer or specs for this...
Corner fireplace decor
We are building with a corner fireplace in the greatroom...
What would you suggest for window treatment?
Large stacked windows in our great room. Our main...
Need to check CNC art work at wood for interior modern style
Please need your advice with attached photoes for cnc...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
need help choosing countertops
White cultured marble or Giallo ornamental granite...