Small wall oven is causing chaos!
celestepet12
Hi everyone :) This is my first post!

This is my husband and I's first home... While we adore it, there are definitely a few things we'd like to change to make it our own.

The kitchen is really nice - great layout, huge pantry (!), big island and great custom cabinets with tons of space. We both love cooking, baking and entertaining. We hosted Thanksgiving for 20 here last fall.

So... we started off just wanting to change the backsplash (white with a veggie/fruit mosiac!) and countertops (brownish-green laminate)... however, the issue of appliances starts to factor into our decision, and we're not sure what to do.

Currently the kitchen has a counter stove and a built-in, 24" wall oven. Not only is the size an issue, but so is the age (70's?).

We are trying to figure out the best approach... Is it possible to remove the wall unit and replace it with some type of cabinet (maybe a glass would compliment the current cabinets)? Ideally, we'd like to just put a range in where the stove top is. I just don't know what to do with that chunk of space where the oven will be missing.

Any ideas? We're trying to get in touch with a good contractor, hopefully they'll be able to come over and give a professional opinion, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had dealt with a similiar issue?
Eagledzines
When you take out the wall oven it won't be finished inside. There may no be a back. If the contractor you choose is able to build a finished box on the inside with adjustable or pullout shelves and if you could get some matching doors, you could use the cabinet as a pantry.
February 5, 2013 at 7:55pm   
yvonnecmartin
When you replace the stovetop with a stove, the cabinets that used to be under the stovetop will be removed. If you are in luck, these doors will fit where your oven used to be.
February 5, 2013 at 8:56pm   
Ironwood Builders
There are still 24" ovens available. They are built for the double wide market. No frills. Not much research into it, but I have an old cowboy friend that needs one and he did the research to find and replace his. I know that anything that you want to do to the old oven cabinet, a good cabinetmaker can do. Match existing doors...no problem, match finishes (cherry is tough) no problem, line an unfinished box, no problem,
February 5, 2013 at 9:05pm   
diyjames
Both of the above comments are good and accurate. This not as much of a problem as you may think. Just a note on getting a range: you will have to bend down to take things out of the oven. The biggest problem could potentially be trying to match the cabinet style of where the old oven was. Also, note there are 24 inch ovens-not many,but decent ones. I just replaced an oven from the 70s that was an odd 26 inch one with a 24. It's often easier to fill a bigger space than cut a bigger opening. Check the dimensions of the range with the space it would be going into. A range could be slightly cheaper overall if budget is concern. Take a look at the connection behind the stove currently (under the stove probably).
February 5, 2013 at 9:10pm   
diyjames
Yes ironwood you're right. There are even 24" single ovens available. I just bought one and the manufacturer offered a rebate too.
February 5, 2013 at 9:12pm   
celestepet12
Thanks for the comments!

I'm relieved to hear that someone can likely match the existing cabinets (there is also one with a large chip that is driving me crazy!) That really opens up our options, I think.

SVA - We definitely talked about the range meaning bending over to go into the oven - that's the beauty of a built-in, right?

There are some cabinets to the left of the existing oven, another option is to get a wider built in and take up some of that space, instead. I think it will come down to price/what is even possible?

Ideally, we would just like to have a bigger oven, but it's good to know that there are 24" ones out there. My husband isn't too keen on the idea, but to be honest... we managed to cook Thanksgiving for 20 with that small oven (and a countertop roaster for the second bird) and I made about 24 dozen cookies at Christmas time... so clearly we can make do if we have to!
February 6, 2013 at 5:21am   
Privacy...and other questions
Not sure what to do here. This is my side door to the...
Fireplace hearth quandry... Need decision!
So getting new hardwood in living room...had to take...
Biggest learning from a renovation?
Whether it's your first renovation project or your...
Paint Color to complement brick tile
Appreciate suggestions on what colors/shades I should...
Please help me design my barren conference room. .
I own a company where I sell and design custom websites....